300 ultra mag actions

Discussion in 'Rifles, Bullets, Barrels & Ballistics' started by typicalhunter, Jan 11, 2008.

1. typicalhunter

typicalhunter New Member

im looking into building a 300 ultra mag and was wondering if the model remington 700 sps action would be worth building on. then puting a jewel trigger and a lilja barrel i havnt decided on a stock yet.

or if you had any othere advice id sure be thankful

2. Kalashnikov

Kalashnikov Well-Known Member

I also ordered an SPS in 300 RUM for a custom build, but it will be chambered to .338 Edge AI, not the 300 RUM.

Nevertherless, have the SPS action squared and trued, and it should work great as a basis for a custom 300 RUM.

3. Supermag

Supermag Well-Known Member

I think that this is the same cartridge goodgrouper uses but he calls it a 338 Thunder.

4. davewilson

davewilson Well-Known Member

GG improved the 338 UM case, not the 300.

5. biggjake

biggjake Well-Known Member

Shawn Carlock has my 300 RUM Remington 700 SPS action right now.You won't go wrong with one.I've noticed on a few of the tactical forums lately,that a lot of shooters think you absolutely have to start off with a custom action in order to build a custom rifle.The only advantage I see is the resale value if you want to sell it.But my SPS cost me $399.00 from Wal-Mart,and prior to sending the action to Shawn,I sold the stock and floorplate for $110.00.Eventually,I may even sell the original bbl for a few bucks.That will make the original purchase price of the action around $250.

6. typicalhunter

typicalhunter New Member

thanks guys that was most helpfull. im pretter sure thats what im going to do
    :D

7. long ranger

long ranger Well-Known Member

Any decent gunmaker can work with an SPS action just as well as any other 700 or 40X action, it just may take a little bit more work to get it perfect.
    Custom actions are nice and sometimes required to build some calibers that are either to fat or too long for a 700 to accept well, but make no mistake a 700 is a decent action to build on. I have built a great many that shoot as good or better than many based on custom actions. Unless your plan is full blown benchrest or Fclass, which a 300 RUM is not the best choice for, using a 700 SPS is a great base to work with.