300 SMK or 300 OTM in 338 EDGE

silvercreekguide

I know that this has been discussed before but I just wanted to hear what everyone is using for elk in either an EDGE or a Lapua. I have heard that the OTM's are getting greater velocities? Also if anyone has any pictures of vitals or exit wounds with either bullet please share them as well.

Thanks Mike

I have sent about 900 SMK's and about 500 OTM's from the same 338 LM. Many elk taken with both. Longest shots were just over 1100 yards. Shortest shots were under 150. They both work well on game. They both shoot at the same velocity within 20 fps. The difference I see is long range group size. The OTM's have produced the tightest groups at 1000, 1500 and 1 mile for me.

With both bullets expect larger exits at close range like under 500, as with many bullets. At distances of 700 plus with the OTM's expect nice 1 1/2" exits, with gushing wound channels and destroyed vitals along with DRT's. At 1000 to 1100 still good sized exits and DRT's when placed in vital zones. If I am going 800 plus I will have nothing to do with any other bullets.

Here are a few pics. I have yet to recover an OTM as they have all passed through.

Jeff.

300gr OTM entrance

1325802635708Small.jpg

exit
1325802638054Small.jpg

Cow elk 300 gr OTM exit just behind the shoulder 830 yards

Resampled_2011-11-20_11-02-48_15Small.jpg

Cow elk 300gr OTM exit with shoulder bone fragments from far shoulder @ 816 yards

DSC03258Small.jpg

Antelpe 300 gr OTM inside rib cage entrance side 500 yards

DSC03187Small.jpg

Exit out side rib cage of above goat

DSC03188Small.jpg

Bull elk 300 SMK entrance @ 526 yards

DSC00643Medium.jpg

Recovered 300 SMK from above bull if far shoulder

DSC00685Medium.jpg

Found another. This leads me to believe the Bergers might hold together a little beter. This is a 300 SMK on a goat at 820 yards.

DSC00597Large.jpg

entrance
DSC00595Large.jpg

exit

DSC00599Large.jpg

Broz, I was hoping that you would post pictures. And that is exactly what I was looking for, thanks a lot! I think that I will give the OTM's a try first.

Mike

Thanks for posting those pics! I have been aprehensive buying an 338 edge, because I was not sure of the damage it would have on my game. I thought it would have been alot worse.

Thanks,

Thanks for posting those pics! I have been aprehensive buying an 338 edge, because I was not sure of the damage it would have on my game. I thought it would have been alot worse.

Thanks,

Most of the owners of 338's are very much in love with them. As am I. The damage is not that bad when placed correctly. Some argure the loss of meat. I see almost the same amount of loss with smaller chamberings with the same shot placement. Most of the time a bullet placed in the front shoulders results in the loss of both shoulders with any sized bullet. So what I am saying is , placement has a much greater effect on meat loss than caliber. Now I will admit, I have taken many antelope with 300 gr bullets from a 338. Care needs to be taken on these soft animals or shoulders will be lost. Especiall for the closer shots. Also it is important that you look at where the exit will be and try to get a full broadside shot with the antelope like the skinned one above at 500 yds. I never save ribs anyway so I feel I didn't loose much meat with the behind the shoulder shot.

Jeff

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.