.300 Sendero Set-Up??

Well I am the proud owner of a Remington Sendero thanks to my wife and her family (Birthday gift). Yeah I have it good! It is chambered in the 300 Winchester, and it is a older model. It does not have the swelled piston grip like the SF II's. I have Weaver style two piece bases and rings. I need to get a good scope on it soon as possible as I have a elk hunt to go on in less than a month. I am thinking about a Nikon Buckmaster. I am unsure as to what power to get. I know they make something like 4-14 and a 6-18 power. I do alot of deer hunting here in ND where there is good potential for long shots so I want to get the right power scope. I know I like the Nikoplex crosshairs and I want to one day get this thing set up so I can range a shot, dial it in with the windage and elevation knobs and be able to hold dead on. I would like to one day be able to shoot 800 yards. Is there any other makes or models of scopes in the $300 price range that I should look at? What about a good range finder? I need something to get me started but for now I don't want to spend $1000's for a range finder. As far as ammo what should I look for? I am thinking at the lightest 180's and I will probably shoot 200's. What factory ammo will give the best accuracy? So many questions.......Thanks.

n

sounds like an awesome present to me!!!

I've had a buckmaster scope, for the price it was pretty good. However i have heard many good things about the bushnell 3200 and 4200. check out the article by Ian M. on good 'cheap' scopes.

personally for the power i would go with something in the 4-14 range because i believe that 6x is just a bit too much for the 'spook a deer at 35yards and shoot' situation.

I'm sure some more people will chime in and you'll get some good advice, good luck!

Good to see another long rang shooter from ND!!

I will second what justgoharder said about the elite 3200 being a very good scope for the money. If this was strickly a sit and shoot gun you may take a look at the fixed 10 power super snipers.
As far as range finders I would highly recommend spending a little extra and getting the Leica 1200 to start with. You will not regret it in the long run.

FWIW,
308nate

Instead of going cheap on everything, why not build it the way you want it now. If you, someday, will want to shoot super long ranges then why not set it up with the equipment that will do you the best job at long range now, instead of going cheap now and buying everything that you want later. Just a thought. As far as rangefinders, the bushnell elite 1500 is the best for the money in that price range in my opinion.

well the old saying goes you get what you pay for !!i have heard alot of good things about the 4200 i like the luepolds life time no question asked warrenty nikon has the same you might want to look at the super sniper scopes at
swfa.com its just another option to concider

JIM

I have always trusted and used leupold scopes. I too like their lifetime no questions asked guarentee. I like the VX3 long range with the target turrets.

My 300 WM Sendero II wears a Nikon Tactical. It came down to that or the Buckmaster...I went pricey because I wanted the extra elevation to shoot as far as I can find range (up to a mile). It's hard to beat the Buckmaster though. The only thing holding me back on it as I'm unsure how weather-resistant the turrents are without the caps on them, as you 'd need them if you really wanted to dial elevation in the field.

I'd get 4X on the low end.

Thanks for the info

Yeah I think I am going to lean towards the Nikon Buckmaster in the 4-14 power. I am also going to get the Nikoplex recticle. I can't wait to start shooting this thing. I am going to pick up the scope and a set of Burris Signature Series rings this weekend. From what I have read the Burris rings should help me to get enough elevation adjustment. What should I be looking at as far as ammo. We use to have a Browing BAR chambered in 300 Winchester and we ususally shot 150's or 180's but the BAR was anything but a long range gun. I am thinking as far as bullet weight I will shoot 200's for long range work.

.300 sendero set up

mine has a leupold scope. i say a bushnell 4200 is a good value. i think a kenton knob is available for the new bushnell tactical. the bushnell range finder is a good value too. there are A lot of bulletS 165 to 200 grains that will do the job. for long range; a longer bullet like a 200 accubond will do better in the wind. if you don't reload i don't think you can shoot/practice enough to shoot long range( 500 plus). AT longer ranges the wind becomes a real problem. enjoy your sendero . it is a great gun.

Going to Handload.

Yeah I picked up a box of 180 gr Accubonds from Winchester, $37.00 for a box-ouch! I couldn't even find a box of 200's. I have all the reloading equipment that I need including 300 WM dies, I'll just have to blow the dust off of everything and I will be ready. I am finding that it is hard to find the shells that have the bullets that I really want so I know now that I will have to start reloading.Tonight I mounted my new Nikon Buckmaster scope, 4.5-14x40, and tomorrow I will try to get a few groups shot with it.

Let us know how she does!

We'd like to hear how good she shoots!

I plan on loading the Berger VLDs in my .300 WM when I start reloading for her. I'll probably use the 210s although I won't rule out some of the lighter ones such as the 180s.

Chuck

Sight in Today.

Yep I got my Sendero "kinda" dialed in. I didn't have a bench to shoot off of so I shot across the bed of our flat bed pick up-Hey I never said I was a professional! I used sand bags and it worked pretty well. My groups with 180's of various makes is around 1.5 inches. I have a membership to a gun club with a good shooting range and hopefully I will get to fine tune it more. I think the rifle has good potential, my father in law put a cheap scope on it before they gave the rifle to me as a gift and he was shooting sub 1" groups with it off of the bench. It sure will be fun to work with the rifle and handloads.

Warning! This thread is more than 17 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts