300 SAUM

Derek M.

Favorite loads with this caliber? I have Varget, H4350 and 4831SC, IMR4350-4831, Re19, 22, 25. I can buy any powder and was thinking of getting some H414.

I was thinking of the following bullets: 168 TSX, 165 Scirocco, 165 Hornady BT interloct, or 165 ballistic tip. Accubonds are not out of the question either.

My brother prefers the Barnes TSX.

deer/antelope rifle.

Derek,
When I first got a 300 saum I called both the Sierra and the Nosler reloading tech.lines before I reloaded any rounds. Nosler said imr 4350 hands down. Sierra said h4350 was they recommendation for accuracy. My gun is very accurate with nosler 180 gr. accubonds. I never managed to get the Hornady 165 interbonds to shoot. The 165 gr. nosler ballistic tips shot good but the 180 gr. accubonds were the holy grail. Win. large rifle mag. primers seem to work best in every load I tried. You are probably going to find the closer you get to max. pressure, or pressure signs, the better your gun will shoot. This seems to be a common trait in most of the short mags. IMR 4350 is a bit faster than H4350, H4350 is less temp. sensitive. H414 is quite close to h4350 in burn rate, but is terribly temp. sensitive. I will not use H414, I have seem too many problems in hot weather.
good shooting
Joe

I would also stay away from the interlocks if you want to seat close to the lands. I found the overall length to be very inconsistant when I was test loading for my .30-06 last spring. The interbonds and a-maxes all worked well for me in weights from 150 to 180. the 180 interbonds average out at 179 according to my RCBS 505 and my lyman 1200 dps 2 scales.

My son uses one in the Model 7 stainless steel...the 300
SAUM is getting the short end of the stick, Big Green no longer offers it in their own 700 and offers the WSM's, go figure...the 300 takes a back seat to no other cartridge in it's class, it is efficient and very accurate. After proper barrel break-in ans a little little trigger work, his will shoot 3/4 inch groups all day long. The starting load, the first twenty-five shots was with 150 grain "DANZACed" Sierra's over H-4350 with the Remington 9 1/2 primer..very accurate load..for hunting we kept everything the same and just switched bullets..to the 150 Barnes XLC...some big deer were shot over the last few years with awesome results and none ever moved after being hit with that X-bullet. Accuracy even with the X bullet is around an inch and half, more than good enough for any big game animal on the planet...don't sell the 300 SAUM short, "BUY" lots of brass and store it, because I don't think it's going to survive much longer..another one of BIG GREEN's greatest mistakes..it is a great cartridge !!

Warning! This thread is more than 19 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.