300 SAUM Trouble?

Casey Napier

I am having trouble getting my 300SAUM BDL to shoot. This rifle is giving me fits! I traded for the rifle a year ago, and am just getting around to working up a load. The guy that traded this rifle to me bought it new, he had a trouble getting it to shoot good groups with the factory stuff that he bought. I have seen this before, and have always been able to get decent results with handloads. I hate Rem factory stocks, they are junk, so I purchased a B+C Medalist stock, and gave it to a Gunsmith friend of mine to bed and open up the barrel channel a little to fit the Mag contour barrel. I worked up several different loads using Varget, R-19, IMR 4350, with different combonations of bullets from 130 TSX, 150BT, 150Accubonds, and 165BT's. Can not get decent groups, they are averaging 3 shot 1.5" or worse, and not consistant. If I get a decent 3/4" group, the next one with the same load will be 1.5" or larger. I am also experiencing pressure problems, can not even get close to max with anything. I am using a cheap high powered BSA scope that has been used for load developement in the past, and always held zero. Could the scope have gone bad? That may be my next change! Has anyone else experienced trouble with the 300SAUM? What should be my next move before re-barrel?
Thanks
RidgeRooster

best bet is to slap a new barrel on it,and have reciever blueprinted and trued while your at it. the factory chamber is probably cut wrong because of pressure signs, and the crown could but wrong also(wouldn't affect pressure but would affect your groups though

just thought of something, maybe see if you can get your factory barrel hand lapped? or blast some tubbs final finish through it before rebarreling. Wouldn't cost much to try.

I kind of thought the same thing about the chamber being cut wrong. I will probably re-barrel after thinking about it for a while. I may try a different scope before just to rule that issue out.
I have seen this in several factory rifles from Remington, they really need to be more pro-active with their quality control.
How about this issue, from a totally clean bore, I am seeing pressure (I have noticed this in several rifles) but as I shoot several rounds through the gun, the pressure sighns seem to go away. Is this the sigh of a rough bore that becomes slicker as copper fills the imperfections??
Thanks
RidgeRooster

Warning! This thread is more than 17 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts