southpaw having trouble

cookjp

I am wanting to build a long range rifle but am having a hard time finding anything for the left handed shooter that I can work with. I cant even find a action to build on unless I am willing to spend $$$$$ on a new rifle any help
would be greatly appreciated

Thanks for the advice, have a savage model 12 in 22-250 that i love just wasnt sure if you could do much with that platform everybody seems to
be all about rem 700

by far the two most popular platforms are the savage and the remington. personally I'd go w/ the remington but that's just cuz I am about the only one on the site that has had problems w/ savage.

You may want to consider what you are going to do with the rifle. I have recently came to the conclusion that I would almost prefer a right handed rifle for target shooting so I can leave my left hand tucked away by the trigger. For any kind of hunting rifle where quick followup shots may be required I'm definitely sticking w/ my lefty's.

Try looking on gunbroker. There are decent deals on LH 700 donor rifles from time to time. You might pick one up for around $450 and you can always sell the stock and barrel to recoup a little of the cost. I have gotten a couple that way.

Here's my LH Savage.
S8000416.jpg

That was when it had the factory 300win barrel on it. It was very accurate. Now it has a Shilen 7mmWSM that I'm just gettin broken in.

The stock is a Stockade Tactical/Pdog. Basically a copy of the A-5. The bolt handle is a Sharp Shooter Supply. They don't make them anymore, but there are several places that do.

Anyway, just because it is not a Remington doesn't mean you don't have the aftermarket parts to make what you want.

It might take a little extra time to find the LH specific parts, but their out there.

Last edited:
thanks for all the advice I know have a much better ideal of what I need to get started. Anyone know anyone who would want to buy a Ruger M77 Mkll 300winmag lh. Im gonna go ahead and part with it and buy another to build on.

CookJP,
I sent you a private message. If you don't want the rifle then go ahead and post the link so some other lefty here can snag it.

TAC

Keep searching and contact a few smiths, they seem to have things laying around. Jim at Center Shot has been a help to me. This is a build that I got all the parts and had put together(the hard part). just my .02

Warning! This thread is more than 15 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.