southpaw having trouble

Discussion in 'Gunsmithing' started by cookjp, Jun 28, 2009.

1. cookjp

cookjp Well-Known Member

I am wanting to build a long range rifle but am having a hard time finding anything for the left handed shooter that I can work with. I cant even find a action to build on unless I am willing to spend $$$$$ on a new rifle any help
    would be greatly appreciated

2. AJ Peacock

AJ Peacock Well-Known Member

Savage has several models for lefties, you can then swap barrels if you want to try a different caliber.

Here is a lefty-package that can be had in 300win mag or 7mm Rem Mag.

Savage Arms Package Model 110GLXP3

AJ

3. cookjp

cookjp Well-Known Member

Thanks for the advice, have a savage model 12 in 22-250 that i love just wasnt sure if you could do much with that platform everybody seems to
    be all about rem 700

4. britz

britz Well-Known Member

by far the two most popular platforms are the savage and the remington. personally I'd go w/ the remington but that's just cuz I am about the only one on the site that has had problems w/ savage.

You may want to consider what you are going to do with the rifle. I have recently came to the conclusion that I would almost prefer a right handed rifle for target shooting so I can leave my left hand tucked away by the trigger. For any kind of hunting rifle where quick followup shots may be required I'm definitely sticking w/ my lefty's.

5. sambo3006

sambo3006 Well-Known Member

Try looking on gunbroker. There are decent deals on LH 700 donor rifles from time to time. You might pick one up for around $450 and you can always sell the stock and barrel to recoup a little of the cost. I have gotten a couple that way.

6. geargrinder

geargrinder Well-Known Member

Here's my LH Savage.[​IMG]

That was when it had the factory 300win barrel on it. It was very accurate. Now it has a Shilen 7mmWSM that I'm just gettin broken in.

The stock is a Stockade Tactical/Pdog. Basically a copy of the A-5. The bolt handle is a Sharp Shooter Supply. They don't make them anymore, but there are several places that do.

Anyway, just because it is not a Remington doesn't mean you don't have the aftermarket parts to make what you want.

It might take a little extra time to find the LH specific parts, but their out there.

Last edited: Jun 29, 2009
  7. cookjp

cookjp Well-Known Member

thanks for all the advice I know have a much better ideal of what I need to get started. Anyone know anyone who would want to buy a Ruger M77 Mkll 300winmag lh. Im gonna go ahead and part with it and buy another to build on.

8. TAC

TAC Well-Known Member

CookJP,
    I sent you a private message. If you don't want the rifle then go ahead and post the link so some other lefty here can snag it.

TAC

9. ftchmup

ftchmup Active Member

Keep searching and contact a few smiths, they seem to have things laying around. Jim at Center Shot has been a help to me. This is a build that I got all the parts and had put together(the hard part). just my .02

[​IMG]