300 saum or 7 saum build questions

cowboy717

Hello all. I'm planning a build on a model 7 remington. Now i know its a bit different than the 700's but i picked it up for a little of nothing. It is already a 7saum. Problem is that I've tried about every bullet weight i have on hand and it doesn't like ANYTHING i put through it. Now i know why it was so cheap. HA.
The best load I shot through it was 130 gr with a stiff load of H4350. And it was about 2" at 100 yds.
Now comes the questions. I'm wanting to build more of a lightweight hunter. Looking at the SAUM because i like the case design better than the WSM.
This gun is going to be fed through a DBM for the model 7 (badger or ptg) with aics or alpha mags so should be able to load to around 2.9 OAL.
what say you on caliber choice?
Gun will probably have a 24-26inch fluted #5 with muzzle brake and a mcmillan game scout stock.
Thank you guys for your time.

You pretty much hit the nail on the head man.... I love the 7 SAUM.

Great choice for a cartridge. I'm not drinking that 6.5 4s KoolAid. For larger animals, I believe in a bigger hole in their shoulder. I know lots of guys are getting it done, especially with neck shots. I'm not amongst the elite rich like 90% of the new hunting community; therefore, I shoot for the shoulder, because I can't afford another hunt next week.

The 7 saum is what I'm thinking about going with. But i do have another 7 saum that i own that is a shooter. Just curious on the 300. I know it will be OAL restricted but not much of a bother for me. Think it should do really well with the 210s-215s

As much as a fan i am of the 6.5s. i really dont know about the 6.5 4s. I do know alot of guys really like them but I already have a 6.5x284 and a 6.5 rem mag so it really wouldn't get used alot with those two hammers laying there.

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.