300 rum with 168 TSX?

I use the 168 triple xxx in my custom 300 ultra. The load is 99 grains of magpro, remmy brass, fed215m, col 3.595, and the 168xxx. Velocity is 3550 out of my 27 inch lilja and they group in the high .4s. Awesome performance on mulies and elk.

Pop,
What make of rifle did you end up with? Seems like I recall that you were looking into doing a custom?

POP- You will love that LSS. I have the same rifle and it wears a 4.5-14x50 MK4. I was deciding against the sendero but the LSS won out due to a little overall lighter weight. I hunt elk up and down canyons, so the weight limit was more of my deciding factor. I have not sacrificed to much in accuracy either. With the right loads on a good day, I've had it down to .3MOA out to 800 yards. Which almost makes me think what I could get accuracy wise out of the Sendero if I had one???

LSS shooters - Are you guys shooting factory barrels ? Been looking at the LSS myself.

A side note on the LSS. I don't want to high-jack the thread.

The LSS is a good looking rifle. I was drawn to it for its balance and weight for a carry rifle, but as everyone says, it a role of the dice when it comes to factory rifles.

Accuracy is my LSS is acceptable (300 win); I can get good groups with heavy bullets (.5 to .75), but lousy groups with anything under 180's (1.5") - unless I make them powder-puff loads. It could be because of the barrel, I've got to load long to get anywhere near the lands. It's been pillar bedded, action bedded and the barrel floated.
[image]
Picture013_17Nov05.jpg
[/image]

Like most factory rifles, mine has a couple of issues. The bolt face has visible machining marks that leave imprints on my brass (thank you factory) and only about half of each lug makes contact on each side. My action and bolt should be trued and I'll have it done before I go for a new barrel. A muzzle brake would help as well since it may eliminate any flinching from shooting heavy bullets in a light rifle –

T

Well the Lss did .75" at 200 yards the other day with 168 gr TSX's at 3480 fps. Need to reshoot to ensure it was not a fluke. Yes the LSS is the Best looking gun in Remington's lineup and yes mine has a factory tube.
BTW...Has anyone used Magpro with the 168 TSX's 180 AB or 200 AB's?

I shoot the 180gr TSX out of my LSS and am achieving 3375-3400fps with Retumbo with good accuracy. Best group to date at 400yds was strung vertically about 3-4 inches (shot from a bipod with burris 3-9 ballistic plex scope) Mine is factory except for trigger, and I added a muzzle break and floated the barrel. Can't wait to build an Allen Mag on it for next season though once I get the money...(fingers crossed) Good luck!!

Pop,
My load is MAX for my gun, as it shows the slightest pressure signs occasionally. it is 95.5gr Retumbo with a COL of 3.640

Warning! This thread is more than 19 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.