300 Rum Sendero2 starting out loading info?

sendero2

hello, new to the forum and new to the loading arena. i just purchased a rem 300 ultra sendero2 what im looking for is a starting point on loading combination to start out with for whitetail deer only up to 500 yrds, with the biggest emphasis on 300-400. i was thinking 150 gr. to 180 gr. any starting ideas would be appreciated.

Thanks

I shoot a WM not a RUM...but I'd go with the heavier bullet. If one comes in close and you smack it with a 150 that little sucker will be HAULIN' and there's more potential for problems. I'd say 180 on the light end, you'll even have a 200 well over 3000 fps.

Sendero2,
I personally would not waste barrel life with 150 gr. bullets. Where the 300 RUM really shines is with 200 gr. bullets in my opinion. BC is nothing without speed, and speed is nothing without BC; but if I'm going to give up one for the other it'd be speed for BC. The 300 RUM with 200 grains accubond (BC=0.588)makes for an awsome hunting machine. With a 3200 f/sec muzzle velocity at an altitude of 4770 FT, it gives you 2100 ft/lb at 800 yards and 1700 ft/lb at 1000 yards. AND... if you're zeroed at 100 yards it only takes 19.6 MOA's to be dead on at 1000 yards. I know you're talking about 500 yards, but if it's good at a 1000 yds anything below that is not a problem. With 2850 ft/lb at 500 yards is lovely. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif Accubond will hold together at shorter distances of course. If you have to be... if you have to use 150 gr. bullets then I would suggest Barnes 150 gr TSX BT. Good Luck!

Sendero2
Welcome to the forum.

I have a stock 300RUM Sendero I picked up a couple of years ago. I have not shot it that much as I am more of a .338 fan. Mine shoots the Barnes TSX 168grn match bullets really well. They will also hold up well if you get one of those 50yd shots too! I like Retumbo and RL 25 for powders (I'd give some load data but my loading record book is in my truck out in the garage and I'm too tired (or lazy) to walk out and get it /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/tongue.gif) You need to get a couple of reloading manuals anyway. Pick up a Barnes, Nosler, and Sierra to start with. You can also get on the web-sites for the powder manufacturers for some load data.

I would also suggest Federal Gold Medal Match magnum primers as well. They are the best (in my opinion, for what that is worth /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smirk.gif)

400 to 500 yards should be very do-able with your rifle. Be warned.....long range is addictive. Once you get that range down, you will be wanting to stretch it on out there!

What kind of glass do you have on the rifle??

I'm actually developing loads for my 300 rum as we speak as well.. I'll be in the 97-99grain avenue, it's really hurting me not having a chronograph to see where my fps truly starts to get weak, with Retumbo and 180g Barnes TSX bullets. Only way I'm able to tell currently is checking primer pockets... I recently found a long range rifle range out here that's free to go to and setup well with hills out to 750 yards I totally forgot about grouping and kept going for the long range targets!!! It's totally addicting as stated above...

Back on topic, I had planned on loading 93-95 grains but upon talking to Stephan Patterson my local gun guy up here he said all he loaded the gun was at 97-99 grains so that's where I'm at now playing shoot and check primer pockets

just a tad update looks like I'll be shooting around 96.5grains of Retumbo with 180g Barnes TSX's for hunting... It was hit and miss about 50% for the primer pockets being loose @ 98 and 99grains.. Although the cases were shot twice before I don't think pushing it so hard is smart so @ 96.5 the pockets are super tight.. I finally decided I'm not man enough after 3 days of shooting the RUM about 40-60 shells a day I'm gonna break down and but a break on it.. my shoulder is killing me!

Been shooting with 4 others that use the 300 RUM out beyond 1000yds and the two powders of choice are RL25 and Retumbo. Both are accurate but the RL25 seems to have a tad more speed. I am using Retumbo as I like the idea of the Extreme powder as I live in the east and hunt in the west. To date bullets used are 180 gr. BT's and Accubonds. The group goes west for elk each year and kills have ranged from 35 yds. to 640 yds. to date mostly with BT's. Have fun. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

My 300 RUM CDL likes the 180 gr accubonds and ballistic tips seated over 96 gr. of Retumbo or the 180 gr. interbond seated over 95 gr retumbo. I got good groups and less velocity with rl22, but it cost more for no improvement ove the retumbo.

The foctory remington ammo with spire points is too hot for my rifle, but the federals with the moly tip shoot very well if I loose my ammo in transit.

the glass i have on it is the leupold vx3- 8.5-25x50mm. im sorry i just posted a duplicate posting b/c i had forgotten i had posted on this one. im leaning toward the 180 gr. accubond with retumbo, does that sound like a good starting point?

[ QUOTE ]
im leaning toward the 180 gr. accubond with retumbo, does that sound like a good starting point?

[/ QUOTE ]

This would be a good starting point for you. Also try RL25 and H1000. As others have said, the 200 gr AB would be a great bullet choice for the 300 RUM. This bullet will open up on deer size game both near and far.

JD338

Yes sounds like a great starting point. Have you ever reloaded before? I'd probably start off around 92 grains and work my way up to the 97 grains area using a ladder method... anything above that people seem to have pressure issues. (even though a local guy loads all the RUM's around here with 98 or 99, I haven't seen the point virtually little gain for way increased pressue not a good trade off to me!)

I would stock up on and try the following for 180 grain bullets.
IMR 7828
For 200's add
H1000, RamShot Magnum, RL-25 and Retumbo to the list

The 7828 is going to fly with those 180's. The other 3 powders are for when you done playing with super speed and move on up to the 200 grain Accubond. I fixing to try the Magnum in my 300Wby with the 200's. I'm currently doing pretty good with 7828 but I know there is more potential as it has no muzzle flash of any kind so I know the powder is all done before 26" is up. I will be watching over a 300RUM in a Sendero here shortly. It's got an appointment with Darrel Holland next week for a brake first though. This will keep this rifle fun to shoot for the kids.

I've been shooting only 180's so far in my older Sendero, but after reading your post I would like to try some 200gr. Accubonds using retumbo or IMR 7828. what powder charges are you guys using?

I used 95g Retumbo with the 200g AB in a friends sendero and got 3225fps. I was using fed 215match, OAL was 3.660". Got 3/4 group at 200 yards, then I shot a 3.5" group at 525 yards with it. It is warm, so start a couple grains lower.

Warning! This thread is more than 18 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.