loading help for 300 ultra sendero2

sendero2

well i got the new remington 300 ultra sendero 2. i need advice on starting out bullets b/t 140-180 gr. id like your advice on the most accurate loads, what bullets, powder, how much powder. just somewhere to start at. this is gonna be used for white tail primarily from 0-400 yrds. thanks.

I hope somebody responds because i just got the same gun about a month ago and i,m getting ready to start reloading.I know some of these guys could help us save alot of time trying differnt stuff that they have already tried.

Personally, I would go w/the 200 gr Accubond. Retumbo or H1000 would be my first choices in powder. I wouldn't try anything lighter than 180 gr.

With the powder capacity of the RUM, the heavy bullets will be much more consistant. I tried the 125 NBT in a 300 RUM and now I don't shoot anything under 210 gr.

Against Bill's wills I to shoot 180g's :p I use 180g Barnes Triple Shocks (TSX, a pricey bullet keep in mind), 96.5g of Retumbo powder... I'm only keeping the bullet it small because I have a thought in my mind i'll rip a deer to shreds if I go bigger, but the 200+ grain bullets are always in my mind and I will probably end up switching anyways for the long range shots (500-1k) which I know will make him happier with me!

[ QUOTE ]
....the 200+ grain bullets are always in my mind and I will probably end up switching anyways for the long range shots (500-1k) which I know will make him happier with me!

[/ QUOTE ]

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

I really don't mean to preach to everyone on this issue. It's just that I've seen a 300 RUM shooting a 125 gr Nosler BT @ about 3960 fps require more windage to hit a pd @ 500 yds than my lowly little .243 shooting a 105 Amax @ 3100 fps.

BC AND speed together are what makes a great long range bullet. It's just that this relationship is about 80% bc and 20% speed!!

Yes, I've started to see it first hand as I start to shoot between the 500-1200 ranges... Still afraid to hit a deer with the bigger bullet though /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

The bigger bullets should penetrate better and do less meat damage. I would be afraid to hit a deer with the light (sub 180) bullets at warp speed. Slow those 125 to 150 grain bullets down a bit and they will work a lot better inside of 400 yards. But if you were doing that you would have bought a 308.

Warning! This thread is more than 18 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts