300 RUM Pressure

Scottf

I recently purchased a custom 300 AI RUM with load info. I have fired a few of the lods recieved with the gun without out any issue. The owner of the gun stated he reloaded with RL20 which I assumed he ment RL25 after looking at other load data for 300RUM. I reloaded a few of the fire cases, neck sized only with 92 gr RL25. (I confirmed the powder charge by checking the load in the rounds received with the gun). A couple of the cases were tight after firing and 1 I could not extract. I was able to extract the case with light tabs on a the bolt with platic hammer. I took the same case and colored it with a marked and reinsterted the case to see where it was hitting hard. The case is tight approx 1/2" from the head. Is this load too hot or is there another potential problem?

Don't ever assume when it comes to the powder someone is using...Some of us use some crazy powder in unexpected cailbers..i am one of them.

Get ahold of the guy and get the facts or start over with a reloading book..

Those little brass things ur puttin in that gun are like tiny peices of dynamite...not something I would wanna handle unless I knew the 100% fact about it

I wouldn't even use the other guys load even if I knew what powder he used unless you know for sure he knows what he is doing. But Judd is right do not ever assume because thats 6000 PSI a few inches from your face. I say start over with a bullet you like and a good powder.

Guys I agree, but I did my homework before I reloaded, 92g RL25 is at the min. per the books, so I was not too concerned of over pressuring the case. Do you think the tight case is due to NOT FL sizing or do you have any other suggestions on what to check?

Since it is a custom gun make sure the chamber is not tight neck. You may need to turn you necks to get proper bullet release. I would also verify you are not seated into the lands which can increase pressure.

Sounds like you are quite a bit over max for this rifle with the powder you are using. Most of the time a hard, or in this case, a very hard bolt lift and extract is a sign of over pressure.

Please Becareful!! If you blow a case the best you can hope for is a damaged rifle and not a glass eye or worse.

Jeff

Warning! This thread is more than 15 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.