300 rum options

TheFishBox

Hey I have a question for you guys, I have an action with a bolt face for 300 rum and was wondering what my options are as far as cartridges I can go with. Can I make it a 300 win mag or do I need to get a new bolt face, I understand that the 300 win is smaller diameter so would I need to buy a new bolt?

Yeah I have seen the sticky but the question I am asking is will the smaller head diameter 300 win mag work in my 300 rum bolt face? As long as the extractor can still grab it is the cartridge still good

Yeah I have seen the sticky but the question I am asking is will the smaller head diameter 300 win mag work in my 300 rum bolt face? As long as the extractor can still grab it is the cartridge still good

Below is extracted off the link to the sticky ...

All of these groups of cartriges should interchange without bolt face and extractor
work.( some work on recever rails may be needed to improve feeding ).

Long actions with a bolt face .Dia of .540 +/-
257 Weatherby, 264 Win Mag, 270 weatherby Mag, 7mm Rem Mag, 7mm Weatherby Mag, 7 STW,
7mm Rem Ultra Mag, 300 H & H, 300 Win Mag, 300 Weatherby Mag, 300 RUM, 303 Brit,
8mm Rem Mag, 338 Win Mag, 340 Weatherby Mag, 338 RUM, 375 H & H, 375 Weatherby,
375 RUM, 416 Rem Mag, 458 Win Mag, and the 458 Lott.

so instead of posting the other two things you could have just said yes. Sometimes I think you just are infatuated with the search function. But thanks for the long answer I guess.

Your question was flawed from the beginning. A 300 Winchester Magnum and a 300 RUM case rim are the same diameter.

no they aren't unless lyman has the wrong dimensions, a couple hundredth's isn't that big of a difference but in some worlds that is as good as a mile. I am not a gunsmith hence asking the question didn't know it was going to pose such a problem for you guys.

so instead of posting the other two things you could have just said yes. Sometimes I think you just are infatuated with the search function. But thanks for the long answer I guess.

I gave you the shortest possible response I can on my initial response and you said you saw it. I highlighted it because perhaps you missed it.

As far as your infatuated with search function comment, at least I do my part to help myself and share with others what's already in the system, like the sticky that is conveniently placed. Duly noted, next time, I know exactly how to respond to you.lightbulb

no they aren't unless lyman has the wrong dimensions, a couple hundredth's isn't that big of a difference but in some worlds that is as good as a mile. I am not a gunsmith hence asking the question didn't know it was going to pose such a problem for you guys.
If they show the difference in the rim diameter as 2 hundredths, they have it wrong. You may be comparing the belt diameter on the WM case vs the web diameter on the RUM. The difference there is going to be about 2 hundredths.

.300 RUM = .534" and .300 WM = .532".
I don't think you have a good concept of the difference in those two numbers. For the purpose of this discussion, they are the same.

If they show the difference in the rim diameter as 2 hundredths, they have it wrong. You may be comparing the belt diameter on the WM case vs the web diameter on the RUM. The difference there is going to be about 2 hundredths.

I don't think you have a good concept of the difference in those two numbers. For the purpose of this discussion, they are the same.

If you'd led with "for the purpose of this discussion they are the same diameter", I would have easily agreed with you, yes the 2 thousandth (.002") of an inch does not matter as it is within the bolt head diameter tolerances as grouped by Jerry and that is why I responded as I did in #4.

BTW, I have a good concept of the difference in those two numbers, and 2 hundredth (vs. thousandth) of an inch could make a difference.

And the next thread will be, "Help! The cartridges won't feed/stay in the magazine!". I don't believe I've converted a rifle from 300RUM to 300 Win. Mag. , but I've done quit a few the other way around. Going from Win Mag (or 7mm Rem Mag) to 300RUM has always required a bit of work to the feed rails and ramp, and a bit of tweaking to the mag box lips (on a 700). With the availability of new Rem 700 actions, I've noticed there's a seperate magnum action listed as an "Ultra Mag" action. There's a difference somewhere. I'd suspect in the feed related areas. I can tweak the lips on a mag box, but there's not much I can do if the feed rails and/or feed ramp are too wide. As for questions about bolt face diameters, JEs' sticky is a very good one, and if ya' need more in formation the Sporting Arms & Ammunition Manufactures web site should be consulted where industry standards and tolerances to be found. Da*%! Heres another link: www.saami.org This is the "final word". It supersedes any dimentions found in loading manuals for industry standard cartridges (not wildcats).

And the next thread will be, "Help! The cartridges won't feed/stay in the magazine!". I don't believe I've converted a rifle from 300RUM to 300 Win. Mag. , but I've done quit a few the other way around. Going from Win Mag (or 7mm Rem Mag) to 300RUM has always required a bit of work to the feed rails and ramp, and a bit of tweaking to the mag box lips (on a 700). With the availability of new Rem 700 actions, I've noticed there's a seperate magnum action listed as an "Ultra Mag" action. There's a difference somewhere. I'd suspect in the feed related areas. I can tweak the lips on a mag box, but there's not much I can do if the feed rails and/or feed ramp are too wide. As for questions about bolt face diameters, JEs' sticky is a very good one, and if ya' need more in formation the Sporting Arms & Ammunition Manufactures web site should be consulted where industry standards and tolerances to be found. Da*%! Heres another link: www.saami.org This is the "final word". It supersedes any dimentions found in loading manuals for industry standard cartridges (not wildcats).

L:DL!

Attachments

• a9cc6155-f27f-4013-830a-373fa278ce92_zps44fa0f82[1].jpg
    a9cc6155-f27f-4013-830a-373fa278ce92_zps44fa0f82[1].jpg
    15 KB · Views: 124
Ok my silly question of the day is why would you want to down grade a 300RUM to a 300WIN or am I missing something? I'm having a hard time trying to find a 300RUM or any member of the RUM family factory built that is a removable box type mag instead of a floor plate!

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.