300 RUM load

rsbhunter

I added on to another post , but i guess i should have posted here....I just tried my first handloads from the new rifle today.... Rem 700 26" LSS , 93.0 gr. Retumbo and 180 gr. Barnes TSX..They appeared to be a real mild load. The Barnes website shows this as a max load. Is this a C.Y.A measure for liability reasons? I seated these .050 off the lands, reloaded some more tonight at .040 to see if accuracy might improve.Is this a mild load from the info i've given? Thanks in advance for any help...rsbhunter

No the Barnes data is not CYA 93 grains with the lot of Retumbo and thier test barrel produced MAX pressure.I went to 99.5 grains with one lot of Retumbo and the 180 TXS,but the lot that I am useing now 96 grains is as high as I can go.I get 3330 fps with the 96 grain load. and accuracy is under .5 MOA..........
thumb.gif
thumb.gif

Agreed... 96 grains of Retumbo is my load as well with 180g TSX. I think I chrono'd right around 3410 with it with my Rifle. 95-97.5 is where I'd suggest people start out with if using Retumbo /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cool.gif

Starting point at 95-97grains? What elevation? I only ask because I'm curious as to where to start, and I just got a box of 180 TSX's and a box of 165 XFB's. Had to pass on 3 big (BIG) black bears this weekend because all I had was Federal Factory loads with the 200gr partitions, and I didn't like the range or the angles...(All under 60 yards, and all hard quartering away angles...)

Warning! This thread is more than 17 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.