300 RUM Barrel Options

Well here is the current shopping list for the rifle i plan to buy everything here in the next 2 months and have it sent off to JE -- after that i can let the pocket book recover and buy the Scope and send it to have it installed. I also plan to get a pelican case for it to sit in

1fdda9811548d3b35b947f5b27005f80.png

JE seems like a strait shooter( no pun intended lol.) If I ever have a custom built I hope to have him do it.

Well still making progress on things. Just ordered the stock, decided to go with one from stockade stocks. It came to 399 finished with paint. Lead time is about 6 months so it gives me time to order the rest of the stuff.

Question I have as the next item is the barrel. Ive heard a lot of good stuff about McGowen barrels and would like to try them out. Their barrel is over $100 cheaper than the others I was looking at. On their website it shows that they can do a Shillen #5 countour but max length is 28". I want a 28" finished barrel would this be doable?

Rather than asking them I decided to post the question on here as well to get opinions as to the muzzle diameter being .700 and the chamber being 3". Would this work for a 300 RUM?

Thanks in advance.

One thing most folks overlook on barrel length is practicality. I went with a Hart barrel and a brake. It was originally an inch too long for my Trailmax scabbard. Ended up taking it back in and had the barrel shortened and new break put on. It cost me several hundred bucks for not measuring things out ahead of time. I hunt off horses every year and need a closed end scabbard. Also, I would've had to modified a shelf in my gun safe if I wouldn't have cut it down. A really long barrel is also more of a headache to carry through thick timber. Just some things too think about depending on your situation...

I'll be getting a new case to fit it in and already took the top shelf out of my safe for my last lr hammer I had. Thanks for pointing it out as some others might miss that point and be in your situation. My philosophy is to have the perfect gun and be as light as possible for carry.

I just had a 6.5 Sherman done with a 28" hart barrel with a Borden brake. It barely fits into a Pelican 1750. Just a heads up that if things get to long; it may be hard to find a case.

There are guys with 32" barrels that find cases. I'm not worried about that and have 6-8 months to find one. There are also some cases I've seen that are not built for guns specifically but have the cutouts that one could use. Big question still is my dream barrel idea a decent one?

The Sierra 240 needs the most twist and in my opinion a poor hunting bullet. They are real hard to get to open even when driving the snot out of them. A 10 twist was plenty for the 240 and a lot of great targets were shot at 1000 Yard BR; even some records a few years ago. I think you will be better off with the Berger 215 or 230. I like the heavy bullets because of distance or if you hit shoulder. Matt

Question I have as the next item is the barrel. Ive heard a lot of good stuff about McGowen barrels and would like to try them out. Their barrel is over $100 cheaper than the others I was looking at. On their website it shows that they can do a Shillen #5 countour but max length is 28". I want a 28" finished barrel would this be doable?

Rather than asking them I decided to post the question on here as well to get opinions as to the muzzle diameter being .700 and the chamber being 3". Would this work for a 300 RUM?

Thanks in advance.

Still curious.

Well still making progress on things. Just ordered the stock, decided to go with one from stockade stocks. It came to 399 finished with paint. Lead time is about 6 months so it gives me time to order the rest of the stuff.

Thanks in advance.

Also Bryan has come public with the idea that a faster twist makes higher BC. I have not yet ordered the book (soon) but did use his calculator and it shows a 1-10 twist would be right at the 1.5 required. Any thoughts on this?

Also Bryan has come public with the idea that a faster twist makes higher BC. I have not yet ordered the book (soon) but did use his calculator and it shows a 1-10 twist would be right at the 1.5 required. Any thoughts on this?
Faster twist is not a higher BC but instead there is no instability penalty. No BC is lost to yaw wobble.

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.