300 RUM and IMR7828

Skimbleshanks

So I've been playing with a new 300 RUM that I put together. Just a factory take off barrel, rem 700 action, mcmillan A2 stock. Nothing really special but fun. Still sporting a Leupold fx2 ultralight 2.5x20 so its no long ranger yet. Currently shooting some factory ammo to gather brass while I save for a scope and gather reloading components. Going to use what I have or can easily get. 210 bergers, imr 7828 powder is still heavy on the shelf at one place near me. Is that powder going to be ok? Not hoping for perfect during these times. Will standard primers work or should I try to find some mag primers?

Edit
Im going to use this rifle for Elk and some practice shooting. Most shots will be under 500 yards. I have a LR plinking spot that only goes to 670 yards.

Last edited:
Going to go grab some mag primers tomorrow. Federal gm215m looks like the popular primer for the big mags. If not available (not holding my breath) what should I be on the lookout for? Or what should I avoid? I mostly use Win WLR primers for everything.

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.