300 Raptor, first results....

I think I would scare them just a little bit!!! :D

Plus there are much smarter minds out there, I am very simple, practical thinking guy. One of those types that says, I think if I do X, I should get Y in return just based on logical thinking and past experiences. So far, for the most part it has worked well for me. Putting that towards millions and billions of dollars worth of equipment can be left for someone else. Hell I have alot of sleepless nights as is, cannot imagine what it would be like with that level of overhead!!!

I have talked with a couple military contacts that LOVE my rigs and flat said they would be a huge benefit to what the military is currently using but that they are to extreme in performance to meet military standards for longevity, can not argue with that point.

I was able to get out this morning and do some shooting with the Raptor with a good friend. Lined it up on a 3/4 moa target rock at a measured 1014 yards. Took two shots to get close and then shot the first three shot group with the 300 Raptor. First two landed dead center on the rock, third landed on the bottom right corner of the rock, group was easily under 1/2 moa and much closer to 1/3 moa in size.

This load was with a prototype 230 gr 30 cal bullet loaded to 3350 fps. So far, very impressed. I shot the rifle at 870 yards as well and it shot very good at that range as well. It got pretty windy so we stopped shooting for the day but I was very impressed with both the Raptor LRSS rifle and 300 Raptor for the first time out.

Anyway, here are some pics of the new member of the APS herd.

P9150033-2.jpg

P9150034-2.jpg

P9150035-1.jpg

P9150038.jpg

P9150039.jpg

More testing to come. Now its time to work on some drop charts and much more range testing.

That is one heck of a barrel! :D

I have read a ton of your posts Kirby, and I truly enjoy them. Keep up the good work.

Is that action one of your creation??

How do you like the PST scopes? I just picked up two of them. One SFP and one FFP. Sorry, that is a bit off topic. PM me if you don't want it on this thread.

Thanks!
Denny

Great read Kirby! No one else produces better reports or has the passion to produce wildcats on a regular basis and keep pushing the envelope, I feel like in the shop when reading.

I will be waiting eagerly for the new unveiling.

That is one heck of a barrel! :D

I have read a ton of your posts Kirby, and I truly enjoy them. Keep up the good work.

Is that action one of your creation??

How do you like the PST scopes? I just picked up two of them. One SFP and one FFP. Sorry, that is a bit off topic. PM me if you don't want it on this thread.

Thanks!
Denny

Im with denny on this one, how do you like the PST scopes?

Denny & Matt,

I have so far been impressed with the Vortex PST. I have to keep my opinion in perspective however. If your comparing the Vortex PST to other scopes in the $600-$900 range, you will be quite impressed. They have alot of very good features for a scope in this price range ($850 retail is what I paid).

If you set one up next to a NF NXS or the top end Vortex Razor, you will notice that there is a difference in optical clarity and mirage does seem to show up a bit more on the PST image then the upper level optics.

Still, it was no problem at all to shoot at +1000 yards and engage very small targets with very good quality target hold.

The FFP scope is my preferred scope. The EBR reticle is a huge bonus. I prefer the Mil Rad reticle because it has more reference line numbers along the vertical stadia so if you hold over for long range shooting, its very fast and its very hard to hold on the wrong line with these numbered lines.

The PST has a decent adjustment range for the money. Smooth adjustments controls, very positive turret adjustments and good paralax adjustment.

They are also quite light for this size of a scope making them a good choice for a light to medium weight rifle that will be used for long range shooting.

So far they seem to track very consistantly.

My only real question is their durability over long term use but we will find that out. Combining the 300 Raptor with the Painkiller muzzle brake will be a serious test for any scope so if it will handle the stresses of this combo, it will likely handle pretty much anything concerning conventionally sized chamberings.

Again, for the money you will be hard pressed to find a better scope and to get a scope with noticably better image quality, you will need to double your investment cost.

Maybe this has been addressed already.....what are current/prospective Raptor owners options for brass? Price per piece?

Jamison was the only maker of decent brass for the 338 Excalibur and they went belly up.

As such, no US made brass for the round or my Raptor wildcats. Since that happened I have been working with Bertram brass to see if they will make me a unique case for my Raptor wildcats. So far it looks like it will happen but just takes time working new brass.

The new case design is basically the same as an Excalibur but lengthened to 3.050" in length so case capacity will be even larger then the original Raptor wildcat case design. Still, it takes time to get case design finalized and production up and running but I assure you I am working hard on it.

I want my Raptor cases to be longer, designed for high pressure and EASLIER to form then a 416 Rigby case.

The 338-378 Wby is identical to the 416 Rigby but only with a belt, my Raptor will be a unique case and larger in capacity to maintain the Allen Magnum theme of Faster, Flatter and Farther then ever before. No need to duplicate another existing wildcat design.

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.