300 r.u.m. 208 amax new questions

Peckerwood

Ok so I've read tons of forum threads on this and still not dead set that id be doing it safely. I want to load 208 amax for my ultra mag. Everyone else has either a different gun or custom barrel. I'd like to use retumbo powder. My rifle is a browning abolt 2 I think 26in. Barrel with muzzlebreak. I just bought hornadys book but it doesn't list a load for 208 amax , why? And does anyone have any data that can get me started in load development. I am afraid to use data from someone with custom barrels and such because they may be loading it a little hotter maybe not I don't know. I've always loaded by the book with nosler and never exceeded max load nor do I want to but I really want to shoot this bullet in my 300 rum. Any help for this new guy is much appreciated. Sorry if I seem to be a bit sporadic in this post but I just got off work 12 hrs night shift and I feel it. Happy mothers day and God bless.

Use the Hornady data for the 220 Gr bullet. And start at 88 gr. and work up. I would not start at 92 gr. just because case capacity between different brands of 300 RUM brass can vary quite a bit.

Thank you guys for your replies. Maybe sometime this week I can load some up. I thought about starting with the 220 gr. Hornady data but wasn't sure. Any idea what a close to max load would be? Thanks again .

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.