300 PRC or 28

maybe when you start a post , you could DEFINE the task. as in a mag length hunting rifle, and us target shooters might go away.
it has no "inherent high speed variances" pure bs.
picking a poor load is not a design characteristic.
you do not have to answer, I do not hunt.
Well Hornady would 100% disagree with you and agree with me. So good luck with that.

Well Hornady would 100% disagree with you and agree with me. So good luck with that.

Lol this made me laugh out loud. as a owner of two 300 RUMs personal experience I haven't had that issue. go tell Chevrolet that they are better than ford and Im willing to bet chevy would agree with you.

No the 300 RUM inherently has high speed variances due to the air space in the case. Because some people shoot them good means nothing to me. It's inherently built worse than any other cartridges when it comes to speed variances. Sure, it shoots fast but speed isn't always the most important factor.
Sorry brother but this is just bad information. Don't know where it came from but I can speculate, and would be leery of anything I read further from that source. If there is "too much space" left in the case with an acceptable load of a given powder, then the wrong powder is being used. Yes I have a .300 RUM barrel for one of my switch barrel rigs but haven't really done anything with it. That doesn't really make me biased and one of its fan boys. My statement is just common reloading knowledge, or I think should be. I did recently put a .300 RUM barrel on a buddy's old 7mm RM Savage (& do load work up) and am extremely impressed with it out to some very long distances. Yes, he has to run it single shot but there are also cures for that. Mostly I don't look to the bigger cases for sheer velocity, it's for the hp to get those big high bc bullets to an acceptable velocity. If you really like the .300 PRC then get it and be happy. Just know that because it's the latest it isn't the cure all.

Hi Guys,
I currently have a 7mm RM and love the ballistics that come with it. I am considering a 300 or another 284 that can shoot the heavies. Anyone that has both care to chime in for any advice? Id rather no have to go through the struggle if others have gone through it already. Any info/insight would be greatly appreciated.
The 300 PRC is a great choice for ELR if you shoot alot and are concerned with barrel life.
I'm pretty impressed with mine, no need for ultra high velocity in most scenarios

Hi Guys,
I currently have a 7mm RM and love the ballistics that come with it. I am considering a 300 or another 284 that can shoot the heavies. Anyone that has both care to chime in for any advice? Id rather no have to go through the struggle if others have gone through it already. Any info/insight would be greatly appreciated.

I would say it depends on your intended use. If you are hunting Elk, bigger is better, and the 300 magnums will shine. I'm not suggesting that the 7mms won't kill elk, but the 300 magnums are a slight bit better for that task IMO. I'm partial to the 300PRC. It's fast enough and is designed around shooting the "heavies". Shoot what you have confidence in!

Had a .28 barrel on my 700, Lilja super accurate and smacked a few elk with it. After 400 rounds my groups opened a lot , borescoped it the throat was shot. I liked the round , but this is just my .02 I had a lot more pressure issues with the gun than any other caliber I own. That and the brass life sucked and was pricey.

I'm having it rebarreled currently in .300 RUM , my other RUM shoots lights out with a carbon six barrel and Sierras. Much easier to work a load up for and no pressure.

I know .28 is a great round , but I'm sticking with the RUM.

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.