300 PRC or 28

Had a .28 barrel on my 700, Lilja super accurate and smacked a few elk with it. After 400 rounds my groups opened a lot , borescoped it the throat was shot. I liked the round , but this is just my .02 I had a lot more pressure issues with the gun than any other caliber I own. That and the brass life sucked and was pricey.

I'm having it rebarreled currently in .300 RUM , my other RUM shoots lights out with a carbon six barrel and Sierras. Much easier to work a load up for and no pressure.

I know .28 is a great round , but I'm sticking with the RUM.
From the people I've talked with who have 300 Rums it sounds like barrel life isn't a whole lot better than the 28 nos.
I spoke with several shooters who lost accuracy at 700 rounds or less.
Curious if you've shot yours enough to comment on barrel life!

Get a 300 Norma Improved and be done. I shoot 225 at 3100 and get 15 plus reloads out of the brass. Its a mild load. Can run it to 3200 if wanted but happy with 2 inch groups at 600. Being a short fat case it fits in 3.8 mags. Awesome brass is easy to get. Mine shoots .5moa when fire forming.
One of mine has a 9.5twist so soon as I get some 245 bergs I'll let you know how it likes em.

I would say it depends on your intended use. If you are hunting Elk, bigger is better, and the 300 magnums will shine. I'm not suggesting that the 7mms won't kill elk, but the 300 magnums are a slight bit better for that task IMO. I'm partial to the 300PRC. It's fast enough and is designed around shooting the "heavies". Shoot what you have confidence in!
Here we go with the Elk theory. Why does everyone have to bring up the " if ya shooting elk".
Nothing said about Elk.
Go with the PRC. It will do what you want, just hand load what ever you need.
And about the to much empty space in the case. Wrong load data, lucky it didn't blow up on him.

With ADG dropping the PRC brass I think that would make a difference to a lot of people.
And ditto on the elk comments...that crap is getting boring.

Ditto on the Elk stuff, plus, if you can't kill and Elk with a 28 Nosler, you shouldn't be hunting them.....

No one said you can't kill elk with a 28 nos
I believe the guy is just suggesting that a fast 30 will be a better choice.
I've killed 3 bulls with a 6.5 saum, two at long range, and a heavier bullet (200 plus) is better suited beyond 600 yards for sure.

Really it comes down to bullet choice, a heavy bullet with a thin jacket can be a disaster on elk compared to a lighter bullet that's bonded or monolithic.

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.