300 Norma Suggestions

Why would he go light if he's building a 1-9 twist. The Norma was made for heavies.
The faster twist is good for better terminal performance and allows you to run heavier bullets but does not mean you have to run heavier. Heavier bullets usually have higher bc but will have less vel. Most often the really heavy for cal bullets will not overtake the lighter lower bc bullets until beyond 1000y or more. The lighter faster bullet will have much better point blank range capabilities as well as more energy on the target and better terminal performance due to faster impact vel out to really long range. I guess right now we are talking about theoretical bullets and not any in particular but if you think about a 190g bullet compared to a 230g bullet the bigger one will not find an advantage until somewhere around 1200y.

Not saying that the OP should not use the biggest heaviest available bullet but they become pretty specialized.

Steve

Most often the really heavy for cal bullets will not overtake the lighter lower bc bullets until beyond 1000y or more. The lighter faster bullet will have much better point blank range capabilities as well as more energy on the target and better terminal performance due to faster impact vel out to really long range.

This is one of the times I actually agree with Steve. This predilection towards the current trend of heavy for caliber bullets is reaching it's end. Folks are just plain finding that all the promises for improved performance given the increase in weight and BC is simply not coming to pass without a significant increase in horsepower and magazine length. So heavier is not always the proper solution to every pursuit.

Do a quick comparison between the 185 grain Berger, the 215 Berger and the 230 grain Berger at the upper node to see what we mean.

Enjoy your project but take a look at the McMillan McCubed Hunter, if you can locate one:

https://mc3stocks.com/

Regards.

This is an interesting topic, does anyone here have any experience with the lighter bullets in 300 Norma? Other than running numbers through a calculator?

I'm always looking for more opinions and information, my barrel should be in hand any day now .

The only problem with lighter bullets and faster velocities is excessive meat damage on short range shots. The bigger slower projectile will waste less at distances inside 300yds.

I agree, just seems like the only information available is in regards to 215s and 230s which I plan to use . Just curious if anyone had actually experimented with lighter bullets.

The only problem with lighter bullets and faster velocities is excessive meat damage on short range shots. The bigger slower projectile will waste less at distances inside 300yds.

The only problem with the summary is that it does NOT hold true. It might have when bullets lacked proper construction but that isn't so these days. I didn't build a .300 or the .338 Norma Magnum to shoot heavy bullets at slow velocities.

I've been using both the heavier and lighter bullets in the .300 Norma Magnum for as long as the cartridge has been around. And I can say the same thing about the .338 Norma Mag as well.

Lighter weight bullets DO NOT mean that they are lighter construction. If they are a hunting type bullet then they have the jackets made to withstand both the increase in velocity and the impact at shorter ranges. I've used the 168 and 185 grain Berger Hunter VLDs for elk and mule deer since they became available. I've also used the 208 grain AMAX to shoot elk and mule deer. Chose the bullet constructed for the job and do your job to pick the proper spot to place that bullet and harvest your animal. Making poorly placed shots can and will destroy bone, gristle and meat no matter what.

If lighter weight cup and core bullets don't instill faith in your rifle and cartridge choice, get some Barnes TTSX bullets and shoot away. I have had just as much success with this design as with the standard bullets.

Buy and shoot what you want to work with then go hunting!

Regards.

Last edited:
I agree that you don't need heavy bullets to take game, I'm mostly interested in the results of using light bullets in the 300 Norma specifically. Most of my experience with other cartridges has led me to believe that very light for caliber bullets at extreme velocity are a poor choice at closer ranges and perform poorly from a ballistics standpoint at long ranges .

That may be true with some bullets, but they are not all created equal. I have no fear of losing meat regardless of impact vel or shot placement.

Steve

Most of my experience with other cartridges has led me to believe that very light for caliber bullets at extreme velocity are a poor choice at closer ranges and perform poorly from a ballistics standpoint at long ranges .

To the best of my knowledge, we are not discussing VERY LIGHT bullets but the middle ground and heavier. In the .30 caliber selection I might consider this to be as light as the 165/168, 175/178, 180/185 and the 190/200 grain selections even though I like and use the 208/210/215's as well.

I am not including the bullets lighter than this or the category of varmint bullets or those made to open at pistol velocities, only those made for rifle velocities with a hunting jacket or the solids like the TTSX. No one wants to lose meat or watch a wounded animal run off so bullet selection and bullet placement are paramount to making a clean harvest when hunting.

Regards.

I agree that you don't need heavy bullets to take game, I'm mostly interested in the results of using light bullets in the 300 Norma specifically. Most of my experience with other cartridges has led me to believe that very light for caliber bullets at extreme velocity are a poor choice at closer ranges and perform poorly from a ballistics standpoint at long ranges .
I guess it all depends on your personal definition of long range. I guess for me I would consider under 160g very light for the 300 Norma. Weight makes bc, along with form, but weight is the big factor that is constant. How a bullet acts on impact is entirely dependent on construction and the material it is made from. Lead bullets and high vel impacts, over 3000fps, are more than likely going to generate massive meat loss. The lead disintegrates and blows all through the meat causing all the meat loss. A mono like ours will not disintegrate, it sheds petals in a few pieces that act like little bullets on their own. The blood damage from high vel impacts will be in the membranes between the muscles and can be cleaned up. Only close to the bullet hole will be actual meat loss. Even on impacts over 3300fps the amount of meat loss is fractional compared to lead core bullets at much lower impact velocities.

Steve

I would prefer the 1-8" twist. I've preferred the heavies for a long time primarily for advantages in close. More reliable penetration, busted bones, and longer wound channels. I'm not really a "long range" hunter of big game. Varmints and steel a long ways out the heavies also have advantages. It's the middle "normal" ranges where balancing causes some a bit of hesitation. The fact remains most of the heavies we're talking about will work fine here as well. A 30-06 with 200 grain bullets still retain enough FPS to expand

"If" I was younger and desired/needed one rifle that could do it all, the .300's would likely get the call. It would be set up intending to exploit the heavy bullets. I can't imagine a situation on this continent the .300 Norma, and others, loaded with the newer bullets like the 227 grain Hammer would not work for.

If one was required to put one in either, or both ends of a Brown Bear it would work. Elk in the alpine good to go. Occasional Rock Chuck sniping also capable.

Not all bullets are created equal, and I enjoy variety in my shooting. More difficult again is creating them identical, lot to lot, box to box, getting the individuals all the same is the challenge in my mind.

I really like the sounds of your build especially the Proof barrel and I would go with a Manners EH1. I have 2 rifles with Proof carbon wrapped barrels dropped in EH1's and they fit perfect and look really good.

I run a gen 2 fat bastard brake on my 300NM and it tames the caliber down nicely.

Don't get all caught up in running heavies and 8 twist or tighter barrels with your Norma unless your looking to shoot at a mile or run a 20'' barrel. I do believe a 1:9 is a good choice.

I have run 230's in my 26'' 1:10 Bartlien with sub .5moa accuracy.

What I have settled on are 210 Berger Hunting VLD's and they shoot very well. I'm not pushing the load and getting 3160fps and exceptional accuracy. Reason I have chosen the lighter bullets is for speed and because it is true as stated above, the heavy bullets dont benefit me till past 1000 yards. I dont hunt at 1000 so the 210's work very well for me on shots 5-800 yards.

Im sure near exact velocity with the 215's can be accomplished with good accuracy.

What ever you decide on bullet weight, don't worry about the 1:9 barrel twist you have chosen. It will work.

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.