300 Norma Suggestions

I really like the sounds of your build especially the Proof barrel and I would go with a Manners EH1. I have 2 rifles with Proof carbon wrapped barrels dropped in EH1's and they fit perfect and look really good.

I run a gen 2 fat bastard brake on my 300NM and it tames the caliber down nicely.

Don't get all caught up in running heavies and 8 twist or tighter barrels with your Norma unless your looking to shoot at a mile or run a 20'' barrel. I do believe a 1:9 is a good choice.

I have run 230's in my 26'' 1:10 Bartlien with sub .5moa accuracy.

What I have settled on are 210 Berger Hunting VLD's and they shoot very well. I'm not pushing the load and getting 3160fps and exceptional accuracy. Reason I have chosen the lighter bullets is for speed and because it is true as stated above, the heavy bullets dont benefit me till past 1000 yards. I dont hunt at 1000 so the 210's work very well for me on shots 5-800 yards.

Im sure near exact velocity with the 215's can be accomplished with good accuracy.

What ever you decide on bullet weight, don't worry about the 1:9 barrel twist you have chosen. It will work.
Thanks, I needed that! Sometimes I read too much into things and start doubting my original thoughts:confused:

PETERSON BRASS 300 NORMA MAG UNPRIMED 50/bx
Item #: PCC300NM50
Price: $110.99
$2.22 per round
Shipping: One flat fee of $7.95 per order.
Exclusions apply. Click for details.
Availability: In Stock

77117.jpg

I'm still using my original batch of Norma brass but when it's gone I have this in the queue for the next round.

I understand Peterson's desire to get the retail off their hands but letting Graf handle it is a sure plan to watch the prices soar out of control. It's too bad.

Regards.

For me, I want a bullet that is, of course, going to work well in terms of terminal effect on the target. After that, in getting there,drop to me is meanless, as today I can get that quite accurately. It's wind that is always the bugger in the works, especially when you shooting across large changes in topology, valleys, draws, thermals from heat from sun or shade etc.. The bullet that gives me the best atvantage against the effects of wind, all else being equal, gets the node. Now if it's only a knats hair difference and a lighter bullet gives me some other advantage I'm on board for sure, annd hahave mamade that choice. I think ALL of us are susceptible to falling for the excitment generated by the newest higher because bullet to some extent. I know I surely am.

I have been shooting monos long before they were popular like they have become in the last 10yrs. Used Barnes for decades and would even order months ahead and get bullets made for me by GS Customs gone thru 2 generations at that family owner shop. They would even make them to my design with a fairly reasonable min order. Today we have some many great choices right at home. Jesse @Hammer Bullets being one of the very best. Rich was the first one to turn me onto using them. I could not count all the tsx and solids I have shot over the years but have not in the last couple yrs other than for my ARs. Still great bullets just there are better choices that seem to expand better with better BC especially for LR cases.

But in normal lead core jacketed bullets in 30 cal as the relevatent example. Someone says 155-175 I think 308. 190 without a doubt and I am sure many other espeically if they have mil LR experience 300 WM. Once you go above that its the super mags RUM, NM, LM etc. The issue being the reason for this has more to do with punching paper and enemy combatants than wild game hunting were terminal effects are a critical factor and there can be lots of choices. Of course mons with the adds vel for profile and te have changed the rules a good bit. So if a 190 seems right at home in the WM H2O 85-90 gr a 300NM 15+ gr high H2O bullet weight would go up accordingly 25-30 grains. Its seems logical on its face regardless of the real world truth of it.

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.