300 Norma Mag

I am building one on a bat HR with rail that is cut out in the middle to save a little weight. Nice thing about Bat HR, is that if you ever wanted to rebarrel to any different round you would just need to buy a different bolt.

Was yours a 378 based mkv?

Yes..it was a 30-378--accumarki could not get to shoot "heavy" bullets--over 180 grains. Cut 5/8" of the back--and re-cut a 300 Norma chamber...voila... shoots 1/2- to 5/8 in all day long with 212 ELD-X and 225 ELD-Ms

Attachments

• IMG_2419.JPG
    IMG_2419.JPG
    903.6 KB · Views: 116
Hi all
I want to build a 300 Norma Mag and I'm inquiring about different actions.
I have built 4 different rifles now, using Brux barrels and Remington actions.
They all shoot under 1/2"
It looks like the 300 NM, I will need a bigger action? What are some options that are better priced then $1,600?? Stiller is the cheapest one I can find so far. (tac 338)
Is there any other style besides a bolt action? prefer a single shot
Looking for options and opinions. Thanks
I would look into these actions, I've heard nothing but good things about Mesa Arms.
Pretty tough to find a quality Lapua action for this price
https://mesaprecisionarms.com/products/rifle-parts/crux-stainless-steel/

Thanks everyone for the response's. I've only dealt with Remington actions so far because of the cost. I couldn't find a site online that listed all the different manufactures. It looks like I will have to get my check book out for this build. I'm sure no matter what custom action, they are all probably better quality than Remington. It takes a little time to blueprint the Remington, so It will be nice to just thread it on and know it will be good.

A worked up Remington action will be nearly the cost of a custom. Lots of good outfits out there competing around the $1000 range. That Crux looks good.

The Stiller action is well built and functions very well. I would not be the least bit hesitant to build on that action. But, the Big Horn TL2 or TL3 is also a great action with lots of features not included in other actions that cost more. You could almost get two Stillers for your budget. (almost) But, you could definitely get a Big Horn setup to your specs and have a pile of change left over. just my $.02

The Stiller action is well built and functions very well. I would not be the least bit hesitant to build on that action. But, the Big Horn TL2 or TL3 is also a great action with lots of features not included in other actions that cost more. You could almost get two Stillers for your budget. (almost) But, you could definitely get a Big Horn setup to your specs and have a pile of change left over. just my $.02

Thanks Phillygunner
I just called them and they are around $1,400 with a rail and lug.

Jack Lyon actions at Thompson Leh
$800 with a 20MOA rail and lug
That seems like a good deal compared to these other ones. He said the raceways are wire EDM'd that's a bonus also.

Anyone have one of these? what do you think of it?

Jack Lyon actions at Thompson Leh
$800 with a 20MOA rail and lug
That seems like a good deal compared to these other ones. He said the raceways are wire EDM'd that's a bonus also.

Anyone have one of these? what do you think of it?
I have one, I am going to build a 338 rum on it. I personally haven't handled it yet, but my smith wasn't really impressed. He usually builds off lone peak and defiance, so I'm sure it's not upto their standards. However we will see how it does this spring when it all gets done!

Lots of good stuff out there.
Defiance for me, I like to support local companies, lucky for me, MT has some pretty good stuff going on.

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.