.300 H &H Win pre model 70 with a 26 inch barrel

bobrhess

Is there anyone out there who has experience with reloading a Win pre '64 model 70 Win in .300 H&H cal with a 26 inch barrel by using any bullets heavier than 230gs and up to 250 gs? I would like to know if anyone has reloaded the 230 gr Burger VLD and what primer,brass and powder you used and what the results were. If a 250 gr bullet, what was it and also the brass,primer and powder used. Thanks guys!

Bob

Bob, I think the mag box on the 70 will limit how you can load the long bullets in the long H&H. Might take a little working but I imagine its totally possible, just maybe not optimal.

Hodgdon and Barnes list load for the 250 grain Barnes original, 2600fps is achievable. I have the bullets, got as far as thinking about it. Decided not to for the reasons listed above, and that particular bullet was a round nose. The Nosler 220 partition is a better close range heavy critter bullet in my opinion. I just looked and saw loads of 60-69 grains of H-4831 standard primers listed. In the same rifle you're speaking of the 200 grain Accubond gave good service for me, and I think that case capacity, with bullets 200-215 you really aren't leaving anything on the table. Federal 215's always worked well in the 300 H&H for me. Good luck

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.