.300 H&H + 208 Amax

sniper80

I have just acquired a 1948 Rem 721 chambered in 300 H&H magnum 24" barrel. Long term, I am looking at re-barreling it with a 28" barrel, probably chambered in 30-375 Ruger......but as it came with cases and dies I thought I would try reloading some 208g amax's thru it as it is.

I have done a fair bit of re-loading, but I am interested to know if there is anything I need to be extra careful of reloading this cartridge? Is anyone else running this combo and how does it go?

Many thanks

Good cartridge.
My brother has a #1 in 300h&h. He's using 168ct's or 180 hornady pills in his rifle pushed by rl powder. You'll only get three to five firings with full power loads as the heavy taper stretches the brass a bit more than the newer designs. Think 300 wsm or 300 win power level wise. Some 300h&h rifles are rather short throated so measure up before you load rounds.
Win is offering a couple of the m70 variants in 300h&h this year... marked 300HH on the lists.

Id find some other gun to do it on. those 721 h&h guns are hard to find and are going up in value every day. Kind of a shame to cut up an old classic like that even if it wasnt worth much. Id go find a newer cheap sps and build something on that instead.
I have just acquired a 1948 Rem 721 chambered in 300 H&H magnum 24" barrel. Long term, I am looking at re-barreling it with a 28" barrel, probably chambered in 30-375 Ruger......but as it came with cases and dies I thought I would try reloading some 208g amax's thru it as it is.

I have done a fair bit of re-loading, but I am interested to know if there is anything I need to be extra careful of reloading this cartridge? Is anyone else running this combo and how does it go?

Many thanks

Id find some other gun to do it on. those 721 h&h guns are hard to find and are going up in value every day. Kind of a shame to cut up an old classic like that even if it wasnt worth much. Id go find a newer cheap sps and build something on that instead.

That is a classic rifle in a classic chambering. Don't know if all the upgrades will ultimately get you the rifle you want. The .300 H&H is the parent case for a lot of modern magnums, my .300wby included. Granted you don't want to push the H&H as hard as some other magnums ( shoulders angles, brass flow, etc.) I think you can easily get the 208 Amax to around 2800 fps safely. The cartridge is well suited to the heavier class bullets if its a 1/10 twist barrel. Good Luck.

I agree with the others. Don't ruin that Model 721. They are sought after and butchering one would be like chopping up a Pre-64 Model 70, you just don't do it. For the price you'd spend rebarreling it you can almost buy a Remington 700 chambered in a more potent magnum like .300 Winchester.

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.