300 ackly # 2

ann brezinski

how does this compare to the 308 norma magnum?
is it the same as a 30 -338 Winchester magnum?
gary b

I think you're referring to the .300 Ackley #3, which is based off the .300 Weatherby case...Which is what I have. It will be similar, maybe slightly faster than the .300 Norma, and definitely bigger/more velocity than the .30-338 WinMag by a good bit.

IIRC, H20 case capacities are as follows ...

1. 308 NM
2. .300 Ackley (.300 WBTY 40)
3. .30-338 WM

From what I have found the 30-338 and the 308 norma are almost identical, and definately smaller than the 300 wby. Are you sure you didn't mean the the 300 NM instead of the 308 NM?

All three have the .532 case head and a .512 -.518 body.

length are as follows.
308nm 2.56
30-338 2.53
300wby 2.85

Again...just me causing trouble :D
Tod

how does this compare to the 308 norma magnum?
is it the same as a 30 -338 Winchester magnum?
gary b

The 30 Ackley #1 is considered a "Short mag" because it can be chambered in a 30/06 barrel by setting the barrel back one thread to get a new chamber. It has the powder capacity of less than 70 Grains of powder.

The 30 Ackley #2 is a little longer than the #1 and can chambered in a 30/06 barrel without setting the barrel back. It has a case capacity of just over 72 grains.

The 300 Ackley improved (Some call it the #3)Is the same as the 300 Weatherby mag with only
Minor changes to the case. The Shoulder angle is 40o and case life is better than the 300 Weatherby Mag. Loading data is the same as the 300 Weatherby with a case capacity of 85 to 86 grains of powder.

The 308 Norma Mag, and the 30/338 are in reality the same with the same loading data. Although They should not be fired in each others chambers because of the difference in case shape. The 30 Ackley #2 Is also very close to these cartridges.

Hope this helps.

J E CUSTOM

After some quick research...

I was correct, but I listed the wrong cartridges... I did not know there was a .308 Norma Magnum, and a .300 Norma Magnum. I thought they were the same thing, just being misnomered. I didn't know the .308 Norma Magnum was smaller and similar to the .30-338 Winchester Magnum.

star-trek-face-palm-picard.jpg

So yes, the .300 Ackley Improved (#3) IS similar to the .300 Norma Mag (like I stated), but will definitely be more powerful than the .308 Norma Mag and .30-338 WinMag (like everyone else stated).

From what I have found the 30-338 and the 308 norma are almost identical, and definately smaller than the 300 wby. Are you sure you didn't mean the the 300 NM instead of the 308 NM?

All three have the .532 case head and a .512 -.518 body.

length are as follows.
308nm 2.56
30-338 2.53
300wby 2.85

Again...just me causing trouble :D
Tod

I think you are correct, I was thinking .300 Norma. :cool:

The 30 Ackley #1 is considered a "Short mag" because it can be chambered in a 30/06 barrel by setting the barrel back one thread to get a new chamber. It has the powder capacity of less than 70 Grains of powder.

The 30 Ackley #2 is a little longer than the #1 and can chambered in a 30/06 barrel without setting the barrel back. It has a case capacity of just over 72 grains.

The 300 Ackley improved (Some call it the #3)Is the same as the 300 Weatherby mag with only
Minor changes to the case. The Shoulder angle is 40o and case life is better than the 300 Weatherby Mag. Loading data is the same as the 300 Weatherby with a case capacity of 85 to 86 grains of powder.

The 308 Norma Mag, and the 30/338 are in reality the same with the same loading data. Although They should not be fired in each others chambers because of the difference in case shape. The 30 Ackley #2 Is also very close to these cartridges.

Hope this helps.

J E CUSTOM

I didn't realize that there was more than one 300 Ackley!! lightbulb Was P O himself responsible for all 3? The only 300 Ackley I ever saw was the one that Lee Fisher used to use in his IBS 1000 YD Heavy gun. It was identicle to my 300 Wby , but with a different shoulder. Are they all belted mags based off of the .532 bolt face?

Tod

I didn't realize that there was more than one 300 Ackley!! lightbulb Was P O himself responsible for all 3? The only 300 Ackley I ever saw was the one that Lee Fisher used to use in his IBS 1000 YD Heavy gun. It was identicle to my 300 Wby , but with a different shoulder. Are they all belted mags based off of the .532 bolt face?

Tod

Yes. He was a big advocate of making cartridges more efficient with the existing powders of the day.

He also believed that to get the most out of a powder charge, you had to have a cartridge that had the optimum capacity.

The #1 was in his mind the most efficient because it had a case capacity of less than 70 grains. (He felt that 70 grains was the most efficient powder charge for .30 caliber) It was not the fastest, but produced higher velocities that cartridges with more powder/volume.

He then came up with the #2 Ackley so it could re chambered a 30/06 without setting the shoulder back. this lengthening of the case increased the powder and reduced the efficiency (Over the #1 )because it was slightly over bore but not enough to lose flexibility and increase barrel wear.

The Ackley #3 is basically the 300 Weatherby with a 40o shoulder, and he considered it to be Over bored and inefficient with the available powders of the time, and considered it to be a "Barrel Burner''.

I cant count the number of cartridges he tested and tried to improve and the best guess is in the neighbor hood of 35 to 40. He tried shoulder angles up to 50o and found that 40o was optimum for efficiency and brass life. Now that we have many more powders to choose from things are much better, But his observations are still very accurate when it comes to efficiency and barrel life with certain powder charges and case volumes for a given caliber.

We can produce more velocity because of the wide variety of powders, but using his philosophy, we can still get the most efficiency out of the new powders as well as the older powders.

As you can tell, I am a big fan of his work and even own a 300#2 that he actually built himself. Most of my wildcat designs are based on his concepts and have proven very efficient and have exceeded my expectations.

J E CUSTOM

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.