30 yds short of 500 --- Last Hunt

Eaglet

Getting an Elk tag in Nevada is not an easy task; you have to put in for a draw and could go for 10 years without drawing an Elk tag. If you draw and harvest an Elk, you can't even apply for 10 years but if you draw and don't harvest an animal then you only wait for 5 years before you can apply again.
Marlon is my second son, 21 years old, and this year he drew an Elk tag in Nevada which made us very happy. Marlon would soon be trying to harvest his first Elk. Opening day was Saturday 28th, on Friday 27th we got to our area soon and after setting up camp, we did some glassing which allowed us to see 2 cows and 4 bulls at about 1.5 miles away.
Friday night was a cold experience, temperatures dropped to about 28ºF. Saturday morning we saw two Elks, they seem to be 5x5's about a mile away. We put a stalk on them but never saw them again. Sunday, Monday and Tuesday only got colder being the fourth day about 12º or 15º F. We did lots of glassing finding lots of deer but no Elk.

That night, Marlon Brother Steve and I found our selves tired, cold and it all seemed hopeless. During the weekend we heard and saw lots of trucks moving up and down, we heard shots but we were not seeing Elk. We did never see any other hunters that had harvested any animals. We were frustrated to say the least. After we cooked dinner, we thanked the Lord for the food, the day, and enjoyed the meal. Just before we got ourselves into the sleeping bags we each said a short prayer and asked the Lord to give Marlon his Elk in a way the Marlon would know without doubt the God was giving it to him. That morning of the fifth day, we saw lots of deer, no Elk, and we talked to other hunters who said they had seen a bunch of cows and a small rag horn with them. My son asked them where they had seen them and they had not problems telling us.
Marlon had made up his mind he would bring home Elk meat. So we visited the place, glassed it from different angles and nothing. We went back to camp, cooked late breakfast and took a nap. Our faith was being tested! About 2:00 PM we were on the hunt again since my GPS said from 2:00 PM to 4:00 PM was a good time. Brother Steve drove back to the same place where the rag horn had been seen. There was no other place we could think about, we had just been everywhere. We did more glassing from different angles, we were moving north bound on top of this mountain that would let us glass another mountain and all the sudden I told Marlon if he had toilet paper, he said maybe brother Steve had some, pretty soon Brother Steve is walking very fast towards the truck and I asked him if he had toilet paper, he said "no, but I need it! It's an emergency". So I'm waking behind Brother Steve, Marlon catches up with me and say: "Dad, can I use your range finder?" "You'll kill the batteries" I replied, he said "I'll only use it on Elk" as I was giving it to him and saying "yah right!" After a while Brother Steve hears that Marlon is calling him and I see from my hide out that Brother Steve is walking very fast towards Marlon, soon after that I'm walking as fast as I can towards both of them and find them almost having a heart attack; a bunch of cows with a small bull had materialized on one side of the mountain and Marlon is trying to get in shooting position and ranging and clicking and…. Marlon was in a sharp down hill position and the shot angle would only be about 5 degrees or so… Just a hard shot.
Remington Sendero II, 300 RUM with 200 Gr. Accubond.
2z3x7vq.jpg

Like a miracle Marlon finds a rock that by using it he only had to make very small adjustments to be on target. By this time all the Elks are running! We heard brother Steve say: "they will be stopping now". Marlon this time was ready using a Rock as a beanbag when I told him that range was <font color="red">470 yards </font> and he looked at the drop table and I said "dial 5 MOA's and 2 clicks." He did… I seen the level bubble being used and Marlon told me latter he preloaded the bipod. I was next to him so I covered my ears with both of my hands to protect me from Shawn Carlock's Muzzle Brake! BANG! I saw the small bull react to it before the sound had gotten to them, he turned around and when he did Brother Steve saw blood coming out on the side through his binoculars. Marlon lost his target for a while and very nervously starts saying: "did I hit him? did I hit him?" Brother Steve says: " it's down" Marlon is so excited, he stands up leaving the rifle in the same position he had shot, Brother Steve said: "it's moving" I seen Marlon flying down to the ground behind the rifle… then Marlon said: "not moving anymore"!
We were so happy with the little bull, so happy thanking the Lord and praising His Name. I know 2 years ago we would not have attempted that shot, but know it was different. The good folks at LongRangeHunting.com had something to do with it.
This year we got 5 tags, one Antelope, 3 deer, and an Elk, we filled all five. Aside from my antelope that I shot at 200 yards standing, the other four were 380yds, 360yds, 380yds, and 470 yds. That may not be much, but we are all glad and thankful for the outcome knowing the role that LongRangeHunting.com played in it. Thank you All!!!

The red circle is where the elk was and the blue circle is where he dropped.
2eb8lsl.jpg

The Shot was perfect, you're looking at the exit hole. No meat damaged!
43xiuso.jpg

Exit Hole
2a6a2c8.jpg

Marlon in dark glasses and Bro. Steve
301gd4y.jpg

NOTE:
I was very happy with the performance of the accubond. It's a winner! The bull ran about 50 yards and droped dead. The bullett distroyed both lungs with great authority.
The incidente of the toilet paper was mentioned because it was strange that only 2 out of 3 were in a hurry like that and if Brother Steve and my self hadn't come back Marlon Would have never seen the Elks... It all was working together for one purpose, I just hope I'm being able to convey it.
Marlon killed the bull at 3:57 PM. In God's math 3 means perfection, God's perfected in three, 5 means Grace and 7 means completed. By God's perfect grace the Hunt was completed. this was our third hunt, and our fifth game.
Again we are giving the Lord the Glory.

Last edited:
Nice story and pics, thanks for sharing. That's funny, last time I shot an elk, I was busy with some toilet paper.

10 years 'eh? Wow that's some wait /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/shocked.gif

Enjoy the meat.

Some really good hunting trips you went on this year and to top it off you were successful. That looks like some interesting country to hunt.

screech,
Yes, it's a Sendero II in 300 RUM shooting 200 gr. Accubond.
Kirby Allen did a triger adjustment, skim bedding and put on the muzzlebrake for me.

Kirby,
You must be responsible for a lot of killing! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif That 300 RUM got dirty this year; one Antelope, one big dear, and an Elk. Just wanted to let you know the muzzlebrake is still in place! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif LOL... Just kidding! Thanks for every thing!

buffalobob,
An open country like this, you would love to be here with your Allen Mag, no doubt about it! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

I want to thank you very much for your kind words.
Also I would like to thank Bro. Steve for his help and support.
THANK YOU ALL AND GOD BLESS YOU!

Eaglet ,

That exit hole pic has the makings of a work of art /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cool.gif Maybe you should frame it appropiately and when your non hunting friends coo and babble over it you can just mumble that your son did it /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

God bless you and yours ( well, he already has eh ? ) Thanks for the time to post and to give us the pix.

Finally , if that is all the hunting Nevada allows I would consider a relocation in order /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/blush.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Jim B.

Warning! This thread is more than 18 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.