30 WOLF

*WyoWhisper*
I would like to attend something like this out in Wyoming save a spot for me. It would be fun to shoot at gongs at unknown ranges have the shooter range the target and not tell the range he gets one shot then off to the next target. I think the targets would be nice to be from 500 yards out to over 2000 yards just for fun
grin.gif
Then shoot another day the 1000 1500 2000 2500 yard gongs.
Crow Mag

If all can agree to a date and it works in on my callender all are welcome, obvioulsy donations for steel plates and/or someone to help make steel target stands/ target stands etc. will be needed. I will fill my cabins to capacity if everyone annies for food etc. we can cook it here at the lodge etc. If we all chip in I won't loose my *** for the cost...

Once my place is filled there are other nice places to stay here in the area...

right now the very last week of Sept. looks the best for me...

End of sept. sounds good to me. I'll pitch in whatever you need. I have 7 or 8 steele plates that are 36 by 18in if you want.
Good day.

Crow Mag

If your trying to duplicate extreme longrange hunting, the one shot situation is probaly not a real good idea.
Many shooters would NEVER get on a steel plate.

We would be there for hunting duplication and fun shooting and to show those who have not done a lot of Ultra LR shooting what can be accomplished

Most LR shooters trying to hit something in a hunting situation at 1500 to 2000 would not do so if it was just with one shot and not shooting a sighter or two.
I wouldn't shoot at an animal knowing I may not place that bullet into him with a killing shot the first time and taking only one shot at him at that range.

There are just two many obsticles to overcome when shooting for 1 st round hits past 1000 yards. Up to 1000 yards it's a pretty safe bet that you can make the hit, but after that conditions change rapidly and it seems a spotter shot is the way to go to eleminate a wounded animal senerio.

There are very few shooters/hunters in the World that would honstly try 1 shot hits at 1500 to 2000 yards day after day, in new uncharted areas.

If someone has tried an area and shot it recently, they may have a handle on the 1st shot kill if the range and wind were known in advance.
This is not the case at Rics place or the real world of ultra longrange hunting.

Maybe out to 1000 yards would be the 1 shot aveneue to consider. After that sighters to be shot away from the steel.

Repeatability of your rifle is important too. It's nice to see (after you are on target) how many times in a row you can hit the steel plate at extended range. It will show you what your rifle is capable of doing and how well it holds on target.

Just my thoughts.

DC

Crow Mag

I remember when the best shooters in the world said, "A one shot kill is not real likely past 800 yards". Even Carlos said he felt he needed to be within 700 meters or so to "Be Sure", I believe he was refering to man sized targets.

Which brings me to the fact that it all depends on what system your using and on what day, and on what size target. If I had money on the line, I would much rather be shooting at an elk at 1500 than a coyote, Antelope are not real big, and my longest kill to date on one is 1,450 yards.

With your mindset and skills and equipment, I doubt you will have much trouble out to 1,200 on med size targets, (deer and antelope) and great success on elk sized targets, in readable wind conditions. Hell, you might even figure something out the rest of us have not, (God Forbid) and push that envelope way down the road.
smile.gif

Wyowhisper

I read somewhere that you are going to have a guided groundhog hunt? This cracked me up when I first read it BUT this could be big\small business. Also it would be nice for some of us westerners to get into the 1K club. What are the rules? anyway LOTS of good people in CODY, and the summer rodeo goes on for ever! Last time I was there I was getting the OLD reformer ouy of the OLD husky refinery for a client. GOOD LUCK WITH THE RANCH.

Cam,

Nope not groundhawgs.... prariedogs...

One of my buddies I guide with and I secured a 10,000 acre ranch in the Casper area that has millions of pd's, literally some of the dog towns are 100's of acres large!!!
We will be doing a semi guided hunt and a deluxe hunt $100 and $150 per day respectively. The 1 K club shouldn't be a problem....

Let me know if you are interested..

It would be interesting to know how close one can get to the bull at 2500yds after a sighter shot is taken, the accuarcy of this system?

If you shoot a .25 moa rifle and at 2500 yds, no better than a 6" group can be realized no matter what, add that to a minor wind change between the time the sighter is fired and the kill shot is fired and what's the closest one gets to the bull? I think 1500 yds or even 2000 would be very difficult too. What do you think?

Ric, late Sep sounds good to me. Never been on a guided hunt might be interesting any special tags
grin.gif
needed? I know how to cook not real good at washing dishes so I'll help out wherever I can.

Let's make a plan to have lots of FUN and a real good time!!!!!!!!!

I want to see all these systems and ideas in field use so that I may learn something that I can pass on to someone else.

That's why this board was started if I'm right.

Ric

I will cast my vote for the first 2 of the 4 days directly preceding antelope season, it would be a great tune up for hunting, and still give the best part of a day or so to get to your hunting spot.
smile.gif

[ 01-08-2003: Message edited by: crow mag ]

[ 01-08-2003: Message edited by: crow mag ]

Darryl
I was not thinking of simulating a hunt. You would be using the last target as a spotter in this kind of shooting. Say you range the first target at 720 yards with a 10 mph wind at 9:00. You would look at the drop chart and say it calls for 11.8 moa up and 2.9 moa for windage. You shoot and see the bullet hit 1 MOA left. You can make an adjustment at the next range. On the next target you range it is 1060 yards look at the drop chart it calls for 22.1 MOA elevation and 4.5 for windage you add the 1 MOA you were off the last shot and shoot. The shot is with in inches of where you were aiming and so on. I think if the targets are not to far apart you would not have to hard a time hitting them until the range got way out there It teaches you how to reed the rangefinder you are using and using a drop chart. I do a lot of shooting like this in my field. I just drive in my truck stop at random spots set a target then go out further set another target and so on. Think of it as walking up a ladder. I just thought it would be fun to see how far some of the shooters could hit a gong at unknown distances with one shot. I would not shoot at an big game animal if I didn't think I was going to hit in the kill zone either. I think just before antelope season would be good to.
Crow Mag

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.