30 Sherman bullet

snox801

Ok so with my 30 Sherman being done now and my brass and dies here.
The question becomes what bullet?
I've had such amazing luck with hammers that's the way I lean heavy. 199's or 214's?
Or the 230 atip?
This is a hunting rifle for 90 percent of its life or more so keep that in mind. Plus it's gonna weigh in around the 8-9 lbs mark total.
So I'm leaning towards the light fast to get me a flatter trajectory for almost all the hunting ranges I encounter. But I'd like to be able to take game out to a max of 1200. So again hammers do t have a draw back at that range. Plus since I own a .375 AM I also do t need it to be a long ranger as I do need a reason to drag out the big boy. So if I know I'm sitting on the mountain shooting long range of course the .375 is the only choice. Lol
But for packing and general hunting I'm leaning hammer but what are your thoughts.

I'm loving the 199 hammer in my .300 win mag at 3128fps. I also just bought 500 185 Berger hybrids for practice rounds due to cost. The 185s have a very similar BC to the 199s. Anyways 199 Hammer gets my vote.

I was going to say the only bullets I would go for is the 245 Berger or possibly the 230 Berger, they would certainly get the most ballistic performance out of the cartridge. But if it's use will be mostly closer ranges with only a possibility of going long, and you want an excuse to still use your 375, I would look at the 214 Hammer going 3150-3200 or so. Plenty flat, decent bc for that velocity, and good terminal performance.

I was going to say the only bullets I would go for is the 245 Berger or possibly the 230 Berger, they would certainly get the most ballistic performance out of the cartridge. But if it's use will be mostly closer ranges with only a possibility of going long, and you want an excuse to still use your 375, I would look at the 214 Hammer going 3150-3200 or so. Plenty flat, decent bc for that velocity, and good terminal performance.

I'm just not a huge fan of Berger, i was thinking of having a secondary load for either those or the 230 atip if I'm able to shoot this thing long range being it is on the very light side of rifles.
Also maybe let's say 600-800 will be my self imposed limits on game with almost always being under 600 I know the 199 will still get me to 1000 which is for the most part the outer limit.
I'm thinking the 199 might be more impressive out to 600 with the added speed and shock over the 214 but still get me out farther if need be.
Keep in mind my longest shot in Michigan is about 600 for hunting so most of these long shots are when I got to Texas which is often only a small time hunting. That leads me to think the 199 would be flatter and easier while in Michigan but I'm also ok dialing up so I keep going back to the 214.

I've had such amazing luck with hammers that's the way I lean heavy. 199's or 214's?
Or the 230 atip?
This is a hunting rifle for 90 percent of its life or more so keep that in mind. Plus it's gonna weigh in around the 8-9 lbs mark total.
So I'm leaning towards the light fast to get me a flatter trajectory for almost all the hunting ranges I encounter. But I'd like to be able to take game out to a max of 1200. So again hammers do t have a draw back at that range. Plus since I own a .375 AM I also do t need it to be a long ranger as I do need a reason to drag out the big boy. So if I know I'm sitting on the mountain shooting long range of course the .375 is the only choice. Lol
But for packing and general hunting I'm leaning hammer but what are your thoughts.
Wha
Or the 230 atip?
What did you end up going with?

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.