30 MOA Base question

skookum

So after making a 1410 yard first round hit with my 300 WSM, I am left wanting for more, I don't plan on hunting at these ranges but as many on here know it's still a good time to hit something at that range, trouble is, I maxed out my vertical elevation and still had to hold 8 MOA over the rock I was shooting at so now I am looking for a base so maybe one day I can extend my personal record to a mile.
I discovered the Seekins Precision 30 MOA base which I am hoping will get me there, but my concern is that it is on a short action and my scope may be sitting on the barrel or worse and not fit at all. Will I have to buy new, taller, rings because of the downward slope of the rail?

My rifle is a McMillan Custom 300 WSM that I bought from a guy on here back when I was just getting my feet wet with the long range side of things. I am running hand loaded, 185 Gr. Berger's at 2860fps and topped with a Huskemaw 4-16x.

So after making a 1410 yard first round hit with my 300 WSM, I am left wanting for more, I don't plan on hunting at these ranges but as many on here know it's still a good time to hit something at that range, trouble is, I maxed out my vertical elevation and still had to hold 8 MOA over the rock I was shooting at so now I am looking for a base so maybe one day I can extend my personal record to a mile.
I discovered the Seekins Precision 30 MOA base which I am hoping will get me there, but my concern is that it is on a short action and my scope may be sitting on the barrel or worse and not fit at all. Will I have to buy new, taller, rings because of the downward slope of the rail?

My rifle is a McMillan Custom 300 WSM that I bought from a guy on here back when I was just getting my feet wet with the long range side of things. I am running hand loaded, 185 Gr. Berger's at 2860fps and topped with a Huskemaw 4-16x.

Congrats to your LR accomplishment thus far.
Welcome to the addiction.:D
Thanks to your service to our great nation.

The rest of the guys will be here shortly to chime in ... but here's to get you started ...

IIWY, I'd find out what the actual internal elevation adjustment of your scope and use Berger's ballistic calculator online to see what canted base you'll need. For instance, if I plug in your info, zeroed at 200 yards, 1.5" scope height at my altitude (other parameters will also affect your result), you'll need 80 MOA of elevation at 1800 yards.

My current .300 WSM rifle set-up; 20 MOA base and 50 MOA of elevation (scope has 100 MOA of total adjustment). At 2750 FPS using same parameters as yours I only need 70 MOA.

Hope this will get started to formulate your best course of action for your intended purpose.

Good luck. Cheers!

Ed

Ok thank you for the insight. Thank you for your service as well. Sorry for they delay, I have been pretending to elk hunt. I think I will go with the 30 MOA just for fun, that way I can try to outshoot my rangefinder.
It's nice to see i'm not the only one on here with a 300 wsm. What bullet are you running out of yours?

Before ordering/installing a 30MOA base, make sure you have at least 30MOA left in the scope to go down. Even if your scope has a total of 100MOA vertical it doesn't necessarily mean your zero is right in the middle. A 20MOA base will still leave you with another 12MOA of elevation (past 1400).

I guess I hadn't thought of that. I'll have to look on the huskemaw website or phone a friend on how much downward adjustment I have. thank you.

You don't need to check a web site or phone a friend but rather just count the number of MOAs from your zero all the down until the dial stops.

I would do that but I'm playing army all weekend and don't have the luxury of playing with my personal weapons, otherwise would have already done that.

Before ordering/installing a 30MOA base, make sure you have at least 30MOA left in the scope to go down. Even if your scope has a total of 100MOA vertical it doesn't necessarily mean your zero is right in the middle. A 20MOA base will still leave you with another 12MOA of elevation (past 1400).

My scope bottomed out, had to zero at 200 yards.

but my concern is that it is on a short action and my scope may be sitting on the barrel or worse and not fit at all. Will I have to buy new, taller, rings because of the downward slope of the rail?

30 Moa is still only 1/2 of 1 degree. At 1000 yards that is a big deal. At the length of your scope from the center to the front it is no more than, if I did the math right, 60-70 thousandths of an inch.

So unless your scope is all but sitting on your barrel now you'll be fine.

Also depending of how much elevation your scope has, Badger makes 45 moa bases. Food for thought.

Ok thank you for the insight. Thank you for your service as well. Sorry for they delay, I have been pretending to elk hunt. I think I will go with the 30 MOA just for fun, that way I can try to outshoot my rangefinder.
It's nice to see i'm not the only one on here with a 300 wsm. What bullet are you running out of yours?

You'll be done playing army before you know it and you can spend more time elk hunting.

My current accuracy is 215 Berger 60 RL-17, 9 1/2M, WW brass, COAL = 2.968", CBTO = 2.197" (.080" off the lands), 2750 FPS ... YMMV and as always proceed with caution.

Cheers!

Ed

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.