30 mag

Don't get me wrong I love my winnies but can never get them to crack 3k with good accuracy. If I could build a 30 nos which with right free bore should do 3k plus with a 215 hybrid no sweat and still have some gas in the tank for the 230 at around 2900 FPS that's the way I would go, if I could get roughly 1000 plus rounds down the tube. If we're talkin 5-700 I will stay with the Winchester.

i know I know this question has been asked a million times but I'm finding conflicting info and I keep going back and forth. I'm building a switch barrel LR target hunting rifle. It's going on a SR3 with a game warden stock and Wyatt box, the first barrel (deer rifle) is a 1:9 proof carbon 280 AI which I already have set up. For My second barrel I want a 30 cal. I was going 300 win mag. But have been considering 30 nos and 300 prc. Most likely this will be a target chambering unless I draw an oryx tag or someone in my family draws and elk tag( I bow hunt elk). I want to run a 215 hybrid 3k plus and maybe play with the 230 gn pills. I've had a couple 300 win mags and never could accurately get them to 3k. More like 2910-2930. Is it worth chasing the extra velocity with the 30 nos or the 300 prc? Also is there a big difference in barrel life of say a 30 nos running 3100 and a 300 win mag running 2900 with 215's? Part of me just wants something different but those proof barrels are pricey and I like to shoot! Sorry for beating a dead horse but mostly interested in real world experience with these cartridges. Thanks!
I would get a 300 Blaser Magnum. It is a better case design than both the 30 Nosler and 300 PRC. It comes in Norma Brass.

If keeping the .473 Bolt face the Op needs a Wildcat to get there. Anything from a 30-06 Ackley Improved & Up are his options. The Sky is the limit on what you're willing to create. Robert Hembrook's ".30 Hembrook Long" comes to mind, you can have the Rims trimmed down to .476 and with reported 88 Grains capacity it might get Him there.

2?
What is wrong with the belt? "Rhetorical" don't care ha ha
Why so much hate on the 300 prc?
I own 300 lci mag, 300 Ackley, ( both are old and inherited) 300 wm x3 love them, 300 Roy, (first 30cal mag ) 30 nos for sale junk nos rifle I won, my love 300RUM & a 30-378 Roy mark V almost shot out thank you Grandpa.

And at the end of the day they are all so close it isn't even funny 300 rum and 30-378 being 100-300 fps faster. 300 PRC and 30 nos are basically 300 Roy's 300 PRC is a better designed cartridge.
It is so funny I keep hearing socom took 300 Norma and the 300 Norma is the next big sniper round. I know 3 great Americans that are part of the SF community and they are calling ******** Unless it comes out on its own special platform all due to the bolt face and 338Lapua problems on Remington 700s so now we're talking custom. Which I do believe they would do and have done.

Holy S$@t son what have you done!
The belted boys are gonna come after you with pitch forks :eek:
Ha ha trust me someone's going to call you an ignorant novice for daring to defy the sacred belted mags..

That's funny.
I'd say most people see the belt for what it is. An older design which isn't necessary. Is it a deal breaker? Not from a performance or use stand point. Would I add it to any cartridge? Nope. Is there any advantage to it? Only the widely available reloading components.
Basically, the belt isn't like getting a left handed rifle, while being right handed.

Back to the original topic.

If keeping the .473 Bolt face the Op needs a Wildcat to get there. Anything from a 30-06 Ackley Improved & Up are his options. The Sky is the limit on what you're willing to create. Robert Hembrook's ".30 Hembrook Long" comes to mind, you can have the Rims trimmed down to .476 and with reported 88 Grains capacity it might get Him there.
I have a standard and mag bolt face for the SR3

Well, the belted case is old H&H but so is the 30 Newton. 404 Jef. 416 Rigby and 505 Gibs and the Mag hip are built around 100 yr old parent case and one other factor what could I fit on Masure Action!

Even though Hornady have some excellent marketing, I have bought into the hype every time lol and I Havnt been dissapointed.

I shoot creed and 6.5 PRC and I love them both.

I can't see the 300 prc being any different as it's a ground up design for long range precision shooting, predominantly purposed for over 1000 yards shots, with the main advantage being appropriate bullet seating from the get go (sammi specs are on the money so manufacturers can legally produce high end boxed ammo)

YES you can achieve simialir if not same performance from a win mag or one of the others by reloading and building rifles to suit. However, the PRC is going to be an off the shelf, out of the box solution for the heavy for caliber Bullets out and soon to be released. Move with the times and enjly it I say.
I'm currently Building a Norma but i think once one of my 28's are shot out I'll go a 300PRC and drink the cool aid

Even though Hornady have some excellent marketing, I have bought into the hype every time lol and I Havnt been dissapointed.

I shoot creed and 6.5 PRC and I love them both.

I can't see the 300 prc being any different as it's a ground up design for long range precision shooting, predominantly purposed for over 1000 yards shots, with the main advantage being appropriate bullet seating from the get go (sammi specs are on the money so manufacturers can legally produce high end boxed ammo)

YES you can achieve simialir if not same performance from a win mag or one of the others by reloading and building rifles to suit. However, the PRC is going to be an off the shelf, out of the box solution for the heavy for caliber Bullets out and soon to be released. Move with the times and enjly it I say.
I'm currently Building a Norma but i think once one of my 28's are shot out I'll go a 300PRC and drink the cool aid
Junk Hornady brass, need I say more ? Hornady does make some good bullets though.

2?
What is wrong with the belt? "Rhetorical" don't care ha ha
Why so much hate on the 300 prc?
I own 300 lci mag, 300 Ackley, ( both are old and inherited) 300 wm x3 love them, 300 Roy, (first 30cal mag ) 30 nos for sale junk nos rifle I won, my love 300RUM & a 30-378 Roy mark V almost shot out thank you Grandpa.

And at the end of the day they are all so close it isn't even funny 300 rum and 30-378 being 100-300 fps faster. 300 PRC and 30 nos are basically 300 Roy's 300 PRC is a better designed cartridge.
It is so funny I keep hearing socom took 300 Norma and the 300 Norma is the next big sniper round. I know 3 great Americans that are part of the SF community and they are calling -------- Unless it comes out on its own special platform all due to the bolt face and 338Lapua problems on Remington 700s so now we're talking custom. Which I do believe they would do and have done.
How is the 300 PRC a better design, and what are you comparing it to ?

Advantages

-no belt means you head space off shoulder rather then belt
-adopted SAAMI length means better factory ammunition with bullets seated further from factory (factory ammo advantage only)
-slightly more powder charge for larger Bullets

That's the main advantages

Junk Hornady brass, need I say more ? Hornady does make some good bullets though.

My Hornady PRC Brass seems to be holding up a fair bit. But if you don't want it, the wide spread adoption of hornadies new "cool" cartridges seems to catch on quite quickly meaning all the brass companies jump on the band wagon soon after anyways.

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.