.30 long range hunting bullet question

hft

im going to shoot a hog at 1000 yards. im wanting to get some advice on bullets to try. im shootin 180bthp match bullets and just feel i need a hunting bullet that will perform at long range-- advice?

[ QUOTE ]
im going to shoot a hog at 1000 yards. im wanting to get some advice on bullets to try. im shootin 180bthp match bullets and just feel i need a hunting bullet that will perform at long range-- advice?

[/ QUOTE ]

They will work just fine at LONGRANGE many here have used the SMK's with great success,as well as Bergers, A-Max's and JLK's. Also Wilcat bullets would also be another option.......... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

you talking with experience? i hit her good yesterday in the front shoulder... and she took it, and ran off. ive shot others with a 64 gr .224 bullet out of a 22-250 and hit the the same, grounded them! and this one with nearly 120 grs of more ke takes it and runs off? maybe just a fluke deal, i was sure trying to blame it on the bullet. but rest assured, ill be trying it again with the same load.

i shot a 200-225 pound sow and 560 yards with the 180gr sierra bthp match bullets, about 2/3rds of the way up on her shoulder. hit her solid and knocked her down, i videod the shot and it looked for sure she was down. i case my gun, get in the truck to drive across the pasture to pick her up, as soon as i get the door shut- shes up and staggering into the creek. i couldnt believe it. i figured it would have to have been the bullet not performing. am i wrong?

You should be using at least the 200g SMK, better yet the 220g. The lighter SMK"s dont have a good reputation for being a good penetration bullet. I"m betting it didn't penetrate to the other shoulder. Hence why you saw it get knocked off its feet. HOwever, there wasn't enough penetration to get to the offside shoulder, resulting in it getting up and away. Just my thoughts...

[ QUOTE ]
i shot a 200-225 pound sow and 560 yards with the 180gr sierra bthp match bullets, about 2/3rds of the way up on her shoulder. hit her solid and knocked her down, i videod the shot and it looked for sure she was down. i case my gun, get in the truck to drive across the pasture to pick her up, as soon as i get the door shut- shes up and staggering into the creek. i couldnt believe it. i figured it would have to have been the bullet not performing. am i wrong?

[/ QUOTE ]

Your original question asked about taking a pig at 1000 yards and I responded that the SMK would work fine at LONG RANGE.You then posted of shoot a pig at 560 yards (medium range) with a shoulder shot. SMK' are not tough deep penetrter for shoulder shoulder shots. A lung shot would have worked better IMHO opion with this bullet
I agree with the advice given by others above. Many long range shooters have and still use the SMK's successfuly at long range,most but not all use heavy for caliber bullets and at long range velocity is down and bullet intgrity is up.......... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

I know that this topic has been discussed numerous times on the forum but decided to give my experience following an 8 day hunt in South Africa. Not 100% relevant to your question as the furthest shot was approximately 350yds.

I shared the sceptism of using smk's for hunting similar to many other members, but decided the only way to see if they worked was to hunt with them. Over the last 4 years I have become an extreme fan of smk's. Our latest 8 day hunt in South Africa cementing my belief in the fact that smk's can do the job (if you shoot the animal in the vitals of course). During the 8 days over 30 animals where shot with 3 different calibers i.e.
25-06 (100gr smk)
308 (168gr smk)
300RUM (220gr smk)

Distances ranged from 10 yards to 350 yards. Animals where warthogs (50 pounds +), springbuck (50 pounds), blesbuck (80 pounds), Impala (80 pounds +), Wildebeest (200 pounds +), Hartebeest (200 pounds +), Eland (1000 pounds).

Shots taken where head shots, shoulder shots, behind shoulder shots, and neck shots. The 25-06 with 100gr smk's at 3400fps has always performed well at longer (?) ranges of over 200 yards, but just as well at close ranges (under 100 yds ) on the smaller animals (100 pounds or less).

The 168gr smk's accounted for the majority of the medium weight animals (200 pound +). The 220smk accounted for an Eland and a couple of unfortunate springbuck. From my personal experience I would not hesitate to advise that smk's can do the job on hogs at 1000 yards.

What are you shooting these out of? Depending on your muzzel velocity both Accubonds will be more reliable at havesting game than any SMK. If you have enough gun the 200gr AB is the hands down winner at 1000 yards.

im shooting them out of a winchester coyote 300wsm. running them just under 3000 fps. im also interested in any other load info that you guys might think more accurate for 1000 shooting.... email it to me if you would please [email protected]

i shoot the 175 seirra mk out of my 300wsm( sendero) with 55.5 of h-4895, wrlm. i shoot my 300 win mag sendero a lot more than the wsm ; with 72 of re-22 and a berger 210; lapua brass. i have only shot paper at 1k not game. i would try the bergers 180,190, 210 and a lot of powder either re-19 or re-22.( h or i-4350 ?)

Warning! This thread is more than 18 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.