.30 Caliber Twist Rate 1-9 or......

Left Hand Dave

Can anyone tell me if there is a reason to go faster than 1-9 twist on a 300 RUM? Still working on my herd.

Thanks Dave

Last edited:
Berger 230 Hybrid Calls for A 1:9 so does there 215 Hybrid. The sierra 230 calls for 1:8 Twist. And you know berger is working on a 245 EOL .308 bullet.

Just a couple good reasons. Not to mention you will have better stability. Stability does play into how the bullet reacts when it hits game to.

My next 30 cal will have a 1:8 or 1:7.5 Twist to be able to handle the 230 Sierra and bergers 245 thats coming out. Not to mention Long Solids like the Flat line bullets if they came out with a 215 or 230 grain bullet.

So does everyone think a 1-8 will stabilize what is coming out?

Dave

Dave That's a good question. Berger calls for 1:9 wist for the 215 and 230 Hybrid. Sierra calls for a 1:8 for there New 230 MK.

AS of now the General public and maybe even Berger does not know 100% what it will take to stabilize the 245 EOL they are making. I am banking on the 1:8 doing the job But will more then likely go with the 1:7.5 twist. I am hoping that it will work with the 245 time will tell.

In all Honesty I am not sure it would be worth it for you to set up the RUM to shoot the 245 Berger. just not the powder to push it to see the advantage of the heavier bullet.

If it was me I would figure out what Bullets I wanted to shoot. Then get the right barrel to go with those bullets. One thing to think about Having a little more twist is better then not enough. Not to mention most times the twist recommended is the minimum required to work right and most times it does better with a faster twist.

Hope this helps.

David

we shoot them out of 10 twist 30-378 bee @ 3150 a little lower on the G7 bc .395 5 inch 5 shot groups at 1000yrds