30 caliber 208 gr Hornady AMax - Anybody tried them?

acloco

Shooting a 300 Win Mag and need a little more to buck the wind.

Anybody else used these in a 300 Win Mag or similar?

While I haven't personnaly tried them ( even though I have a few hundred on hand ) a guy in our 1000yd BR club has used them in his 300 WSM and has shot some pretty good groups,
7-8" for 10 shots.
I will definitely be trying then out in my 300 WAMBOMAG ( 30/338LM Imp. )

Wayne aka WAMBO

Only one caution.

They shoot very good in a true .308 bore as they are a fatter bullet. However, quite a few barrel mftrs such as Broughton are about .005 tighter and it does make a difference in group sizes.

Hornady is sponsoring Pierre and JP Lucas in the 1k BR game and they are shooting the 208s. They had a heck of a time with a tight barrel at first and switched to a Hart (true .308) and group sizes went down by half. Engineers from Hornady and Tim North at Broughton worked with them to figure it out. Tim is now going to make a true .308 button for his barrels if someone wants it.

BH

Do not get me wrong, they were shooting 7-8" five shot groups at 1000, but that is not competitive. Tim North relapped his barrel to open it up a little and it came down to about 6".

They went to the Hart and dropped into the 4-5" range. This was on three guns.

BH

Warning! This thread is more than 17 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.