30 Cal Build

I'm beginning to see the 300 rum's velocity advantage as the 30 cal bullet selection is large enough to find one that can do the LR job, accuracy and velocity. One thing that puzzles me though, it seems as though 1000 yard precision shooters want their velocity in the 2950-3050 range, practically with any caliber, 6, 6.5, 7, 300 and 338? Why is this? Bullet technology aerodynamics? Velocity's above this may have more killing power, but accuracy wise this seems to be the window + or - 50 fps. Even the 50 bmg or 416 cal seem that it's about the optimal range. Anyone chime in on this observation, am I seeing it wrong?

I'm beginning to see the 300 rum's velocity advantage as the 30 cal bullet selection is large enough to find one that can do the LR job, accuracy and velocity. One thing that puzzles me though, it seems as though 1000 yard precision shooters want their velocity in the 2950-3050 range, practically with any caliber, 6, 6.5, 7, 300 and 338? Why is this? Bullet technology aerodynamics? Velocity's above this may have more killing power, but accuracy wise this seems to be the window + or - 50 fps. Even the 50 bmg or 416 cal seem that it's about the optimal range. Anyone chime in on this observation, am I seeing it wrong?
Barrel life and consistency. More often than not the most accurate loads will not be with max weight and/or max velocities and higher velocities mean more powder and thus less barrel life.

Thanks, I new it was simple.

Let's keep the 1st and 2nd amendments and review the others.
Actually if we just Amend the first to begin with "The Constitution and it's Amendments must all be read in the language of the day and context of the times in which they were written" we'd have few problems.

The problem with the whole thing is "interpretation" vs reading them for what they are and say.

[
The problem with the whole thing is "interpretation" vs reading them for what they are and say.[/QUOTE]

Thank you! Finally! Someone gets it!!! :D (most like minded folks actually do)

OP- There is nothing wrong with the 300RUM, great cartridge & it is starting to catch fire (bullets, brass etc).

If you are looking at going with a big .30 I would take a close look at one of Kirby Allen's big 30's.

He has his tried and true 300AX of the Lapua case or his newest creation the 300 Raptor off the Excalibur case. Both offer top level performance.

I'm REALLY liking my new 30/375 S.I. Here's why: I think it is the perfect amount of capacity for a 30. You get great velocity with nearly 20 grains less powder than a RUM with much better barrel life. It holds 8-9 grains more powder than a 300 WM with no belt. It will fit in most magazines with the vld bullets. Brass is available and seems to be good quality and consistency so far (375 Ruger Parent). I get 3050' with my 218 grain SXR's, and 2950' with my 228's. It has one hole accuracy! Case life seems to be very good so far as there is very little body taper and a 40 degree shoulder.
The rifle is built on a BAT action with a 28" Krieger, Sendero contour barrel. I had 3, 300 RUM's, and they are a great round, but for the difference in velocity coupled with recoil, barrel life, case life, etc., for me it is a no briainer because I like to shoot a lot. Contact me if you want to build one and I'll help you out......Rich

You are correct and the 30/375 S.I. falls right in that category with bullets in the .700 + b.c. class......Rich

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.