30 378 starting load data needed

wildworks

I am looking for some load data for the 30 - 378 shooting 210 jlks I need a starting point with my new gun It is a sako action with a 30" custom taper Broughton 1/10 twist. I have loading manuals but they give NO details on 210 bullets in 30" barrels. I need a safe starting point and can work up from there thanks in advance for any help!

Wildworks,

If you have the Hornady manual you can use data for their 220 gr bullets as well for the 210 gr pills. I would recommend starting with a medium to low end load given for the 220 gr bullet as your throat is surely tighter then anything Wby has shipped out the door. This will increase pressure so start with a mid to low level 220 gr load.

Good Shooting!!

Kirby Allen(50)

I would start with 100 gr Retumbo and ladder up in .5 increments with a Fed GM215M primer. Depending on throating of course but I would bet somewhere around 105 is where you will end up.

PS: Do not overlook the 200gr Accubonds. And yes even for paper a long ways away.

Please post your results with the JLK's and Broughton. Is it a 5C?

Thanks again for the replys I was told that retumbo was runnig very good in this. I have a good starting point, and after break in I will go to work to see what it likes most ,

yes on the 5C

Thanks again for the replys I was told that retumbo was runnig very good in this. I have a good starting point, and after break in I will go to work to see what it likes most

Let us know how this works out for you.
I seem to have better results with lighter loads.
Very easy to overload this big shell.
I also have used 105 retumbo with 200 accubonds @ 3430.
If you need a cheap powder that works well in colder weather try some WC 872 makes for a good hunting load.
115 grns WC872 and 200 accubonds @ 3230 was best group.
All this is in my gun so start low and work up.

CAM

HoytemanPA
Glad your still around.
ABOUT TIME WE HAD A 30-378 THREAD!!! LOL
you tamed your beast yet?
Do you shoot in 1K comp?
CAM

Hi Cam!

It sure is about time to talk about the big beasts again.
I still have the same stock Accumark but with a Tooley MBR stock on it. About 12 lb. The rifle printed 8 under 2.5 inches vertical at over 1k the other day so I just have to try it some time this summer in an official match.

I already screwed up my 10 match agg this year by missing a wind change between sighters and match rounds during the first shoot and blowing four off the paper.

Yep I'm into 1k BR. I am presently using a 16.5 lb 300 Wby but am working on getting a heavier profile barrel for the 30-378. As you know cranking 15-18 rounds out of the factory tube sure warms things up in a hurry. I have been putting it through it's paces. Shot 50 shots, 5,300 grains of powder last Saturday through it without cleaning just to see the effect. Was still busting clay birds at 1K at the end.

When I get the new barrel I will probably be working mostly with the 240MK but those 200gr Accubonds will not be left out during testing.

Just curious, in your custom barrel what's your OAL to touch with a either a 200MK, 220MK, 200 Accubond, etc?

Thanks,
HPA

up and running then dead in the water! I just got the gun broke in yesterday cleaned it and had a box of test loads, and wouldnt you know it the scope reticle breaks on the 3 rd shot! back to burris it went, I called and they said they would take care of it asap, i said I hope so! This is a brand new scope with 3 reduced loads ran through it 95 gr retumbo w/ 210 jlks. so here we sit on this beautiful sat. with no new gun to get up and running! Good to hear others with 30-378 out there what are you setups?

HoytemanPA
I'm at work and will get back to you on the OAL
Howard Wolfe set it up for a hunting gun and the 200SMK
The OAL is long but I just hand feed them any.

Shot some 220 SMK out to 1880 the other day and was hitting steel with 2nd shot. It was holding its own with the other guys shooting 338's 408, and 50's just less damage to the steel. Also my friends were testing some loads so was making lots of adjustments as they went. It was fun to see them working to get onto the steel and then just sending one down and connecting /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

No compitition here so just shoot for fun.

I shot some Clinch River 216's that looked really good but when the weather warmed up they were flying apart or loosing there jacket, I out of the bullets but hope to get more soon to back down and test some more.

Later CAM

Wildworks
Let us know when your back testing again and your results.
I had good luck with 50 BMG also. at first I didn't like this powder but the more I play with it the better I like it. don't over look this powder.

CAM

I will keep you posted! I have been incontact with Richard graves at wildcat bullets, and I really like what i hear about them! they are running very high BC'S( he will not quote you what the BC is) He is waiting on a new die for 30 cal but as soon as he is up and running i am going to get the 210 uld and the 230uld leaning more towards the 230! but will try them both seening that my gun was set up to the 210 jlk vld. If the Bc is anything like what others have been getting this is going to be a killer LR round out of the big 30! I if anyone has shot the wildcat 30 cal bullets let me know what you have been geeting!

Warning! This thread is more than 19 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.