30-06 for N.E. Pa.

Waynard

Hi guys, having some thoughts on where I hunted deer most of my life and the caliber rifles I've used over the years. I've hunted with everything from a .243 to a 45-70 in N.E. Pa. and I keep coming back to the 30-06. Anybody have comments or thoughts on that?

i have never hunted on pa. i would love to. when i visited it was so green , and a lot of deer. i love my 30-06. it is an awesome round.

I've been an 06 fan for 40 years. Just had one built this spring on a Remington 700 with a 25" Bartlein barrel. If I'm afield here in PA there is an excellent chance I'm going to be toting an otter6.

roninflag, Just give me a holler sometime. We'll hunt some PA whitetails should you decide to make the trip.

Probably still as good an all round utility cartridge as there is.

Get one in a platform that meets your needs, and go hunting.

How you decide to package it, has more stressful choices than chambering it to 30-06.

I know a couple of fellas that all they hunt with is the ought six in the Remmy pump and I'll tell you what, them boys bring home the venison every year.

AKA.."Amish Automatic" Rem 760/7600 30-06. More people percapita use a 30-06 pump or a 30/30 in Pa than any other state in the republic. I live in and hunt NE Pa. I currently use a cut down Rem 700 .308 in the pines/redbrush & a .270 in the Allegheny National forest based on terrain, but have owned every calibur from .222 to 350 mag. Just like women I tried em all before I picked one.

My first rifle was a Model 336 Marlin 35 rem. Hunted all over Wayne and Pike county Pa. with it and shot ground hogs in the summer and deer in the winter. Then I graduated to the 30-06, and never have been without a 30-06 or 2 or 3 since. And, yep, 180 gr. core-lokts was the bullet of choice back then.

I just bought a custom in 30-06...my goal was 500 and in on game with mostly deer, but an occasional elk or antelope, and at the time, I didn't reload so factory ammo was a consideration. I am very happy with mine and doubt I would change anything, even thou I now hand load.

Yep, the 30-30 or 32 Winchesters were probably more common when I first started hunting than any thing else in N.E. Pa.. But a few of us had the 35 Rem. in a Marlin or the Remington 760 Slay Master. Also popular was the 300 Savage and some cut down customized military rifles. A lot of fellas still hunt with them old rifles and put meat on the table every year. When Remington came out with the 760 in the 30-06 and fellas seen what a accurate, fast and handy rifle it was that kind of changed things in Pa.

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.