30-06 Elk loads

montana_native

I am going to start reloading for my brother-in-law. He has a 30-06 in a Model 70.

I was thinking of the Barnes tipped TSX in 168 or the 165 Accubond. Thoughts on these bullets? He shot an elk last year with a factory loaded Accubond and the thing ran about 500 yards before it tipped over. Passed though the lungs with a very small exit hole and not much blood. I have had good luck with them on deer but never tried one on an elk. He is a little reluctant to use them.

Also, would there be any advantage to buying some Lapua brass instead of the Win and Remington stuff he has collected?

Thank you.

Just my opinion, but the barnes and Accubond are more than what's needed.

Everyone seems to think that the new controlled expansion premium bullet are a must, but you don't need anything more than a Rem Corlokt, Hornaday Interlock, Sierra Gameking, or the like. They've been used succefully for many years to take animals of all sizes.

Of course, there are those who will tell you that you need solid copper or a heavy jacketed bonded core bullet in case you have to take a bad angle or end to end shot, but who's to say that one of the so called lesser bullets won't work just fine.

Either bullet will work fine. The nosler site lists the minimum impact velocity of 1800fps, at 500yds out of the -06, he was likely a little above that last year (probably around 2000fps). If he is planning on mostly long shots with the -06, you might think about a bullet with a little lower impact velocity requirement.

The -06 will probably drop below 1800fps somewhere between 640 and 850 yds (depending on elevation) with the Accubond. (assuming a 2900fps muzzle velocity)

AJ

i have been handlading since 1969. i have shot very little/ no factory ammo since then. i loaded 2000 round of '06 in the last year for competition. but the last elk i shot was with FEDERAL HIGH ENERGY 180 NOS PARTITION. 26 YARDS 6x6. TIPPED it right over . i would suggest i stout load of re -19 and either a 165 or 180. i always use lapua brass in my bolt gUNS if available. ron

i have been handlading since 1969. i have shot very little/ no factory ammo since then. i loaded 2000 round of '06 in the last year for competition. but the last elk i shot was with FEDERAL HIGH ENERGY 180 NOS PARTITION. 26 YARDS 6x6. TIPPED it right over . i would suggest i stout load of re -19 and either a 165 or 180. i always use lapua brass in my bolt gUNS if available. ron
Have you Loaded the 180 accubond with R-19? If so what are your loads?

I picked up some Lapua brass b/c it was on sale. I now have 200 pieces of it. I have about 150 pieces of the Win brass. Both work fine.

I have no experience with shooting any elk with a firearm. I was cursed by shooting them with a bow. :D

That said, there's no reason to shy away from a "better" bullet whether it is needed or not, regardless of positive testimony by those with good experience using cup/core bullets.

I didn't need a 110 TTSX in my 270 for antelope but I used it anyway with great results.

I have some 168 TTSX loaded up with Re19, a very stout charge, which was necessary for better accuracy. That is one thing I found, in general, with the Barnes bullets. They like to be loaded hot. I also have about 1000 180 grainers of the same type.

The accubond is a good bullet, but a lung hit with ANY decent elk bullet will produce varied outcomes from DRT to "he ran several hundred yards."

I prefer shoulder shots so I stick with a Barnes TSX or TTSX. Reloder 19 is an excellent choice, but so is Re22, especially with a 180 grain. I think you'll get the best velocity with the reloder powders. OH, I also have a bunch of 180 Partitions as you simply can't go wrong with this bullet on elk.

I killed my first elk, a 6x6, last fall at 119 yds. I was shooting a Win Mod 70 featherweight 30-06 with my handloaded 180 gr accubond and RL22. I took out a part of his heart and a big chunk of lung.

The AB is an awesome elk bullet in either the 165 or 180 gr. I just wanted to go with a little more weight and my rifle really liked the 180 gr better than the 165 gr.

You may want to look at the 200 grain accubond. I am working up loads with RL17. I will post my results with that combination. I figure to get 2650 to 2700 FPS and that looks to be effective out to 500 yards. The 200 grain accubonds BC is .588 and when I ran it on my Ballistics Calculator it actually has better long range trajectories than many 180 grain bullets with much better KE.

Not sure what happed with your friends elk. The ACCUBONDS have performed excellent so far on moose.

Some one mentioned traditional bullets also and I agree. There are all of these premium bonded and solid bullets out there and while they have their place, are not needed for an 06. Accubonds and TSXs are best suited for high velocity rounds. Traditional boat tail spire points do just fine for medium velocity rounds such as the '06. The 200 AB would still be a good bullet at longer ranges with its high BC. Loaded with RL17 or 19 and I think you would have an awesome elk slayer. The next bullet I would use if it the rig didnt like the 200 AB would be the Hornaday 190 BTSP or 200 SGK. Nosler partition is great for the shorter to medium ranges, out to 400 yards or so.

I was under the impression he was using Accubonds but it was Fusion loaded ammunition. I just spoke with him about it. I am not familiar with Fusion other that seeing it on the shelves at sporting goods stores.

What is the nominal twist rate for the 200 gr Accubond?

Thanks.

I was under the impression he was using Accubonds but it was Fusion loaded ammunition. I just spoke with him about it. I am not familiar with Fusion other that seeing it on the shelves at sporting goods stores.

Thanks.

I loaded some 200 ABs in my 30.06 for close range black bear just to try. I had some left over after loading a few batches of this bullet in my 300 RUM. I just loaded them as hot as possible with Re22 and didn't give a hoot about accuracy as my shots would be under 200 yards, and most were baited hunts anway. My Pacnor bbl has a 10 twist and they still shot very well, about an inch at 100 yrds and about 2.1" at 200 yards.

The Fusion ammo has received mixed reviews/feedback. From what I've read, it seems to be a blend of a poorly bonded ballistic tip that looks like a Remmy corelokt bullet. It's a fine deer bullet but it wouldn't be my choice on an elk.

Ultimately, for your buddy's rifle, I'd stuff a 180 TTSX over as much Reloder 22 as it could sustain safely with good accuracy and leave it at that. Tell him to put the bullet in the shoulder when possible and he'll rarely track another animal.

Thanks.

11x works great at 308 velocities and 11-12x works great at ultra mag velocities

Warning! This thread is more than 16 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.