30-06 duplicate factory load

56.0 IMR 4350
57.0 H4350
Both have shot very well out of several different 30-06 rifles I have used them in. Both are within a half grain of max from Nosler and Hodgdon, so work up.
They have been tested from a couple of Rem 700s, Rem 78, 1917 Enfield sporterized, Savage 110, Ruger #1, Tikka, Win 70, etc.
Good luck!

You are probably already well on your way to solving the equation...but here is what I do:

Take one of the rounds you are trying to duplicate and pull the bullet out. Notice the type of powder (stick/ball, grain size, grain color or sheen, odor of the powder if any). Then weigh the powder from the pulled round. If its new production stuff, they print the expected velocity on the box and that should help alot too.

Compare your evidence to factory reloading manuals for the bullet weight of the round you are tying to duplicate (try the Hodgdon manual first if you think its 4350 or 4831). Just the charge weight, stated velocity and appearance of the powder will give you tons of info to compare.

Examples: 1. If it looks like 4350 and the charge weight lines up with the stated velocity and measured charge weight...viola. 2. You can probably tell the difference between 4831 and 4350 by just the charge weight and the velocity. 3. If it happened to be a different cartridge and were loaded with Varget or Benchmark or something...you will easily see the color and smell the difference in those powders.

Try this and you should be able to compare narrow it down a lot, if not precisely for factory ammo. I do it and it works. If you can't figure it out, take a picture of the powder and post it back here with the weight and the stated velocity from the box.

I tune my loads for guns and their bullets. I reload for 3 different family 30-06s. They are all Remington 742s. My brother and nephew like the Hornady 150 SSTs. There is 1/2 grain difference of H414 for their best load. Would suggest load testing to get your best results. Factory ammo loads typically cannot get the same accuracy as handloads.

That second load is pretty close to Jack O'Connor's load ,
I have used 56 gr. of IMR 4350 with a 180 gr spritzer boat tail for years and it has always shot well out of my rifle. I think the book said 2800 FPS .
Also like Greyfox said , work your way up .
I thought Jack O'Connor was a 270 man..

You are probably already well on your way to solving the equation...but here is what I do:

Take one of the rounds you are trying to duplicate and pull the bullet out. Notice the type of powder (stick/ball, grain size, grain color or sheen, odor of the powder if any). Then weigh the powder from the pulled round. If its new production stuff, they print the expected velocity on the box and that should help alot too.

Compare your evidence to factory reloading manuals for the bullet weight of the round you are tying to duplicate (try the Hodgdon manual first if you think its 4350 or 4831). Just the charge weight, stated velocity and appearance of the powder will give you tons of info to compare.

Examples: 1. If it looks like 4350 and the charge weight lines up with the stated velocity and measured charge weight...viola. 2. You can probably tell the difference between 4831 and 4350 by just the charge weight and the velocity. 3. If it happened to be a different cartridge and were loaded with Varget or Benchmark or something...you will easily see the color and smell the difference in those powders.

Try this and you should be able to compare narrow it down a lot, if not precisely for factory ammo. I do it and it works. If you can't figure it out, take a picture of the powder and post it back here with the weight and the stated velocity from the box.
Yes. Just what I was going to suggest!
Please post what you learn.
Rex

I am trying to match the factory load of the 180 grain federal premium 30-06. My buddys gun shoots these things lights out. I know they are 180 grain Nosler partitions. Anyone have any knowledge of what powder and charge they were? Thanks
Trying to match a factory load exactly is pretty much an exercise in futility. The factory uses proprietary powders which might be close but not exactly the same as what you and i can buy over the counter. I usually take the published muzzle velocity on the individual box of ammo, then hit the books to see what powder I can find that closely matches the velocity of the factory cartridge. For the Federal Premium 30-06 I have found that IMR4350 is pretty successful for duplicating factory loads. Same goes for Sig Sauer Elite, my go to's for factory ammo. All in all...it's a crapshoot but fun playing with different loads.

Shoot over a chrono and then try to match velocity. Keep COAL the same.

I bet you can match - using a few different slow burn powders in the H4831 range.

FYI ... RL26 in 30-06 with 180 NPTs can push up to 2960 fps in 24" bbl - which would allow for some tuning. I suspect the factory loads would be around 2750 fps.

Most ammo manufacturers don't use the same powders available to handloaders.

You might actually find out handloads will shoot even better than factory.
What what your powder range with the 180 NPT and RL26? I used RL22 for years at 2954 FPS and 180 NPT's, but eventually burned out the barrel. The new barrel needs load development and I have both RL22 and 26.

What what your powder range with the 180 NPT and RL26? I used RL22 for years at 2954 FPS and 180 NPT's, but eventually burned out the barrel. The new barrel needs load development and I have both RL22 and 26.
As much as you can fit. Seriously. Depending on the burn rate of your RL26, you will likely run out of case space (including highly compressed > 106%).

I would start at 61 gr and work from there.
63.8 gr is all I could fit @ 2950 fps with one lot from 2018, and 2860 fps with another cooler lot (newer from 2020). This is with 180 NPT (#16331), Starline brass, WLR primer, Kimber 84L with 24" bbl. 62 kpi according to QL. No pressure signs. I'll have to look up COAL.

Accuracy nodes at 2800 fps and 2950 fps.

This is a hunting gun. With the cost of Partitions, I will run out of money before I could burn out the barrel.

Last edited:
As much as you can fit. Seriously. Depending on the burn rate of your RL26, you will likely run out of case space (including highly compressed > 106%).

63.8 gr is all I could fit @ 2950 fps with one lot from 2018, and 2860 fps with another cooler lot (newer from 2020). This is with 180 NPT (#16331), Starline brass, WLR primer, Kimber 84L with 24" bbl. 62 kpi according to QL. No pressure signs. I'll have to look up COAL.

This is a hunting gun. With the cost of Partitions, I will run out of money before I could burn out the barrel.

Okay, I kind of figured you would run out of capacity first. Also, I hear ya on the running out of money sending npt's down the tube! Mine is also a hunting rifle (old Sears rifle) but it could shoot 3/4 MOA with the 180 npt. Hopefully the new barrel does as well. Also, the RL 22 was quite dirty, hence why I'd like to try 26. Thanks for the reply.

Thanks for this OP

My '06 loved the 165 gr Federal Premium, enough that I didn't bother reloading for it. They they changed it, rifle went dirty on me and now that I figured out how to clean all the carbon and copper out, working on finding "that load." Must admit I am digging 150 grainers right now and have a bunch from past experiences. Just in case I picked up so 165 SP.... and I have a little H4350.

I have loaded for a dozen 30-06's and each one has had a preference for 180's and RE19. Just seems to work really well with no fuss and wide nodes. It also works for 165's, my mates 30-06 loves the Speer Hot Cor and the deer don't complain, they just fall over dead.
Have also loaded 130's with both H4350 and Varget, but Varget had always won out in the accuracy department.

Cheers.

What I do is a lot like Baylor243 wrote in post #16: shoot the rifle/factory rounds using a chronograph, note the case used, measure the rounds for headspace, COAL, CBTO, pull the bullets on 5 factory rounds, measure the powder charge on each pulled round, then measure/weigh cartridge case water capacity, make note as close as you can as to the brand/designation of the primer used. (not too hard to figure Federal brand ammo would use Federal brand primers), and of course the brand, type/style, weight of the bullet.
I then set all that up in QuickLoad for the caliber used (you can use whatever computer ballistics program you favor). Then I select the powder(s) using the charge weight/average weight of the pulled rounds till I find the one(s) that meet the velocity/average velocity I have recorded when firing, BUT showing a safe pressure in the program (I don't have any means to determine pressure when firing other than inspection and computer estimation).
Then I look through the reloading manuals in my stack (don't have 'em all) to compare.
Lately, after following Muddyboots on crimping with the Lee Factory Crimp, using calipers, I measure the crimp on a factory loaded round and apply this to my handloads.
When I started all this "Homework", the price of gas was as now or higher. Saved trips to the range.