30-06 bullet

crossfire1

I am thinking about reloading for a long range 30-06 what is your favorite long range bullet. For target shooting or hunting elk.

For that power level the 165-168 grain bullet is pretty tough to beat. I really like the A-max's and would use them for mule deer on down but not for elk.

The 165-168 grain bullets typically provide better ballistics than the 178-190 grain bullets in my experience.

You can get a bit less wind drift with the 208gr bullets but drop will be more as will recoil. It is a matter of balancing the factors that are most important to you.

For elk, the Nosler Accubond, Hornady SST or Interbond, and the Swift Scirocco are all very good bullets. If you decide on the 208 grain bullets I would personally think about the A-maxes again as well as the SMK's.

The 180g.ers should be fine. There was a day when the .30/06 and the .270 Win. were the cartridges of choice for elk. Ya' just gotta' stay within their and your limitations (a far as range is concerned). Shoot the bullet that's the most accurate from your rifle. After all, it's about shot placement. What may be considered "not the best" big game bullet put in the right place will out preform a "premium' bullet that didn't go where it should have for a clean kill. Don't get hung-up on one brand over another. There are plenty of instances where the current "flavor of the day", that everyone is talking about, doesn't produce acceptable accuracy in every rifle. Choose the one that "goes where you send it,,,,, every time!".

Last edited:
I am thinking about reloading for a long range 30-06 what is your favorite long range bullet. For target shooting or hunting elk.

190gr Berger Hunting VLD.... 58gr H4831 @ 2680fps. Shoots a half minute and carries enough energy and velocity to take elk out to 600+ yards. Was on a pretty good bull this morning the last day of the season. Ranged him at 720 yards had the cross hair on him but it was just a hair too far for the -06 and my comfort range so I let him walk.

The 200gr Accubond is worth testing. Took a bull at 460 yards last season using the Accubond and a buck at the same range. The buck was dead right there and the bull went about 200 yards down hill and piled up.

190gr Berger Hunting VLD.... 58gr H4831 @ 2680fps. Shoots a half minute and carries enough energy and velocity to take elk out to 600+ yards.
Just how many 1/2 MOA or smaller groups at 600 yards have you shot with a .30-06?

I ask 'cause the best accuracy top competitors got with bolt action match rifles with the very best heavy match bullets in the '06 was about 5 inches at 600.

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.