30-06 deer bullet?

Discussion in 'Rifles, Bullets, Barrels & Ballistics' started by midwesthunter, Oct 14, 2010.

1. midwesthunter

midwesthunter Well-Known Member

I'm going to be doing some reloading for a buddy. He wants a good/cheap bullet that will "knock the Bleep out of it". Probably won't shoot past 150-200 yards. I was thinking hornay interloc? never shot a deer with them. This will be for whitetail also. Or should just load some bulk SP bullets in 150-160 grain?

2. sniper762mm

sniper762mm Well-Known Member

ive always liked sierra's 168 gr. hpbt gamekings

3. winmag

winmag Well-Known Member

Some inexpensive spitzers in 165-168gr as mentioned above for an -06. Leave the 150's for the 308 guys:D. Your buddy isnt shooting far and its only on deer and smaller. Heck folks have been killin deer with corelokts for years in that same wt and same range.
    Im NOT recomending corelokts by any streach of the imagination, but a simple, quality, flat based spitzer will do fine.
    Hornady's, Sierra's, etc.

4. Scot E

Scot E Well-Known Member

For close range like you mentioned he could easily get by with the Hornady Interlocks. They shoot very well and expand nicely on deer sized game. I would shoot the 165gr. Back before I started this long range thing I shot elk with that bullet. Put everyone down on contact! I don't think you will find a cheaper bullet.

5. midwesthunter

midwesthunter Well-Known Member

Thanks guys prob go with gamekings or interloc. Let him make that choice

6. fisherman983

fisherman983 Well-Known Member

165 nosler ballistic tip..just my 2

7. Derek M.

Derek M. Well-Known Member

Well, just a thought but why bother loading anything for the ranges mentioned? I'd recommend the cheapest Federal, Remington, or Winchester factory boxes of ammo in 150 grain bullets. I think all 3 of those are cheaper than factory Hornady with their interlocked bullets.

If he insists on handloads, you can certainly buy bulk corelokt or winchester powerpoints for dirt cheap and they'll kill any deer on earth. I really can't think of anything cheaper.

I was fortunate to buy some Federal factory stuff about 4 years ago on sale for 12.99/box. I didn't need it but thought I'd buy it just to have it...you know, for the "revolution." :D

8. roninflag

roninflag Well-Known Member

i like a 165 horn interlock it is what i use. , other 165's like the sierra gk, baltip are good, 168 berger cost more. . you may be able to get more velocity with other powders, i have had good results with varget around 50 to 50.5 grains with 165-168. to knock the bleap = bullet placement.