30-06 barrel

D.A.T.

hi im new here,havent done much long range shooting lately except for an m1a1.i have a stevens 30-06 with a redfield 4x12.not a great setup but it shoots good.i am interested in a 26in barrel for it.im disabled and dont run the canyons and gullies much but i hunt the desert.i really want to stretch the legs on my 06.is ERshaw or mcgowen barrels any good?im married with 2 teenage age daughters therefore i be poor.i have considered getting a 300win mag savage.ive always had savages and prefer them as they are easy to work on.could you folks recomend a barrel builder

The only barrel manufacture that I have firsthand knowledge of is Brux. They put out a nice product and I would recommend them. They also advertise on this site as do others. The link is below.

Welcome

Lilja,Shilen,Brux,Kreiger,Shaw,Hart,McGowen,Broughten and even Pac Nor, and Im sure some I forgot, have all been brought up and commented favorably by many L/R/H members.
Lately the craze seems to be Brux, Lilja, and Shillen in no particular order.
I do not yet have a custom pipe, but I have 2 rifles that could bennifit greatly from a longer custom barrel. 1 is a 03-06 with a mostly shot out bbl, and the other is a 300wby that currently wears a 24'' pipe factory from Winchester. (who does that?)
So someday when I have $ Ill let you know wich barrel I chose:D Untill then, all Ive got for you is recomendations that have been given to me, and recomendations from my own research on the topic. No hands on......yet.....

I have a Hart, Douglas, Brux and Pac-Nor. I am impressed with all of them. The latest is a Pac-Nor 3 groove and it cleans up very easy and is a fast barrel.

The most important thing is to get good gunsmithing work. Will run you from $500.00 minimum to $800.00 for the barrel, chambering, cutting off at finished length, crowning, installing barrel, squaring the action and refinishing the entire gun barrel and action. A Pac-nor, Douglas or Brux will take about 2 months average (Krieger are like 6 months). Gunsmithing usually about 3 to 4 months for a good gunsmith (who will be busy).

There is not much difference in barrel price once you get to what I would call the Grade A or Grade B barrels mentioned above so you might as well spend $350.00 as $250.00 for something you will have the rest of your life.

You can send a rifle almost anywhere in the US insured for $1,000.00 for only $25.00 shipping so don't feel like you have to go local. I live in Houston and send all mine to Salt Lake City.

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.