30.06 action to 338 LM

Rottenron

Can a 30.06 action be used for a 338 LM OR 300 win mag. thinking about using o6 action for a build wondering witch way i can go with it.gun)

I think no on the 338 lm the oal is to long for that action but you could do the 300 win mag just change the bolt face or get a new bolt I think do a search on here there is a thred that gives bolt face size and oal on most calibers good luck

lightbulbSorry about that its a Remington,I have 300 ultra bolt from another build that i am doing if i can use it.Or could i use the action for a 7mm Rum maybe. New to the game,just trying to way my options.

Thanks for your help

Yes for the Lapua build the 06 bolt is fine it needs to be opened up anyway and fitted with a badger type or Sako extractor. The smaller bolt face will clean up nicely and not leave any of the extractor groove

YOu can do it with a opened up bolt face or a Dave Kiff bolt, however you talk to a lot of gunsmiths, they won't do it.

I own a Rem700P, stock (actually selling it) and I haven't seen any issues, but apparently the diameter of the tenon and the subsequent thinning of the barrel chamber where you thread creates some concern with a cartridge as wide as the Lapua or 378 Wby. It really is the bolt issue as much as that.

Now, all that being said, Rem makes a 338 LM that is used by the military, that goes through a strict compliance test before being even put on the market. But don't be surprised if gunsmiths balk at a project like yours.

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.