30-06 175 SMK H-4350 question

USAFRet

Question...looking at loading some 175 grain Sierra TMKs in 30-06. Hodgdon lists 55 grains of H-4350 as the starting load. Sierra lists 55 grains as the top load before the round is compressed. I have not run into such a difference before. Anyone loaded this before? If so, what grains, velocity, ES, SD, groups, etc.

Thanks.

Last edited:
A 57 grain load should get you close to 2750 with a 22 - 24" bbl.
There are typical normal variations on rifles and components, so you have to expect some differences in the outcome, which is why the usual advice to run your own work-up will apply here like anywhere else.

If you have been at this game for a while, and have seen a few different editions of various manuals come and go, you learn not to get too excited by differences between sources. In fact, what that teaches you is to check as many different sources as you can and take them all with a grain of salt, then roll up your sleeves and get to work.

I'm using H4350 in one of my '06s with 165 gr Bergers and also 165 gr Nosler B -Tips
I started a little lower but wound up at 58 grains, I'd have to check my notes but I'm pretty sure I was getting about 2870fps. Groups have been plenty good for hunting, bang-flops on deer.

Thanks for the info. Looks like Hodgdon data is good, but I will start low and work up. However, the SMKs was just to check accuracy if factory ammo did not provide decent groups. Luckily I got around 3/4 MOA from Precision Hunter and, of all things, Winchester Power Point 150. So, I will start with my hunting ammo. I have some 165 Accubonds and 180 Accubonds and Partitions. I will be starting with those.

In Sierra's Edition IV for 30-06 cartridge with 175gr TMK's they list H4350 starting load of 50.2 gr to 54.0 gr Max at 2,700fps. In the same manual for 30-06 Springfield Ackley Improved , they list H4350 powder with a start of 50.3gr up to 57.2gr at Max 2,800fps

Sierra does go a bit higher with Accurate's 4350. They get that up to 2.800fps with those #7775's and 57.8gr max of A4350.

Sierra has always been able to show very good velocities while using lower powder charges than other sources, more than likely due to almost always using a 26" barrel.

Barrel length 24 inch in Edition VI for those standard 30-06 loads. They did use a 26 inch barrel fot their 30-06 Ackley Improved loads tho.