28n or 300rum

JMack

This is a good problem to have just wanted to get your thoughts....not intending to start a this cartridge vs that discussion just a fun thread "what would you use"....

looks like I'll be hunting bull elk in September with a rifle, have two great shooting rifles....

300rum with 200gr accubonds

or

28n with 195 eol Bergers

I'm comfortable with either out as far as I need to be (I don't see it being much past 500-600) and have tons of confidence in optics.

Decisions decisions!!

I've always taken 2 rifles on elk hunts! A 1500 mile drive for me 2 rifles are like an insurance policy. You just never know what can happen. I had my favorite 300WSM go bouncing down a Colorado rock chute as my sling somehow came out of the adjustment cinch. The Swarovski took a small dent to the tube but rifle was unscathed. I checked zero at 100 yards on an aspen knot and it held zero. I thought surely I was going to have to hike back down the mountain to fetch my spare rifle.

I would use the 300 rum or even bigger (One of the 338's) You can never have to much gun.
The 338 edge is very popular for elk for a good reason.

Any of the 280's will do the job, but at distance If a shot presents it's self the big 300 RUM could make a difference.

Just an opinion

J E CUSTOM

Congrats on the tag!! I have seen four elk shot with the 28 nosler they work great when shot threw the chest but if something goes wrong with bullet placement they are very tough animals and bigger is better in my opinion. Use the 300 and take the 28 for backup can't go wrong

300 Rum it's a easy pick for me . I just finnished a parts build 300 Rum from LRH members only parts !
It seems to like 230 bergers @ 3036 ft.per.sec. It has been with me on the Montana Spring Bear Hunt this year .
I dont use any thing smaller than a 30 cal on Elk . I just like to be fair to the Critter !
Best of Luck to you this Fall !

Rum Man

Congrats on the tag!! I have seen four elk shot with the 28 nosler they work great when shot threw the chest but if something goes wrong with bullet placement they are very tough animals and bigger is better in my opinion. Use the 300 and take the 28 for backup can't go wrong
Thanks man I think I'm leaning towards the RUM for my first choice good idea to take 28 for backup and for some coyotes 😀

This is a good problem to have just wanted to get your thoughts....not intending to start a this cartridge vs that discussion just a fun thread "what would you use"....

looks like I'll be hunting bull elk in September with a rifle, have two great shooting rifles....

300rum with 200gr accubonds

or

28n with 195 eol Bergers

I'm comfortable with either out as far as I need to be (I don't see it being much past 500-600) and have tons of confidence in optics.

Decisions decisions!!
My Rem 700 loves the 250gr Barnes TTSX with Retumbo powder, and it is Thor with a hammer anywhere you hit a elk, and it always leaves TWO holes! Good luck.

I'd choose my main one off of which one I can carry the easiest, and can hit the turf and get 3 rounds on a pie plate in under 10 seconds with at any range you feel comfy shooting to.

4 me, no doubt I'd go with the 28 Noz (side note, I have zero interest in breaks on a gun and the Big 30 can be fairly testy off some positions). The 28 is just way more user friendly and plenty capable!

I've always taken 2 rifles on elk hunts! A 1500 mile drive for me 2 rifles are like an insurance policy. You just never know what can happen. I had my favorite 300WSM go bouncing down a Colorado rock chute as my sling somehow came out of the adjustment cinch. The Swarovski took a small dent to the tube but rifle was unscathed. I checked zero at 100 yards on an aspen knot and it held zero. I thought surely I was going to have to hike back down the mountain to fetch my spare rifle.
My brother and I hunt elk in Northeastern Utah. We carry an extra rifle always in the vehicle and have needed it several times. Bumped scopes, blocked bores, different ranges.....

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts