284 Winchester AI?

I chased a lot of Unicorns in my time,but never got one.Usually found a pile of Unicorn poop at the end of the rainbow.

I chased a lot of Unicorns in my time,but never got one.Usually found a pile of Unicorn poop at the end of the rainbow.

Well yea I expect to find some poop. I know a "better" cartridge can't make my poor shooting better. Even the magical 6.5cm!

I am interested in hearing if any of the .284 wildcat owners have any feeding issues, especially those with DBMs. I have 35° and 37.5° (and soon 45°) using DBMs without feeding problems thus far.

I had looked around before deciding to make mine a 40* shoulder and didn't see anyone reporting feeding problems in a Tikka action with the Sherman wildcats or other wildcats with a 40*

I had looked around before deciding to make mine a 40* shoulder and didn't see anyone reporting feeding problems in a Tikka action with the Sherman wildcats or other wildcats with a 40*
Me too! I have looked into Arnold and Verne Juenke's ICLs with 45° and Brad Stairs' Tejas with 50° but found no feeding issue.

Anybody ever develop an Ackley improved version of the 284 Winchester in any caliber? I'm thinking about blowing out the shoulder to 40 degrees, blow out some of the taper in the case and then beck it down to .277 to use some of the newer .277 projectiles.
Probably, but how much better is it than the 6.5x284? Seriously, the issue is usually in getting top quality brass and making it worth the die investment. With something so close, I'd question myself a bit.
I feel like you would need to bite the bullet and get a chamber and sizing reamer. That is about $400ish, I believe. Then you are probably looking at $200-$500 for someone to make a set of dies. So, the question is do you care tha5 much?

I am doing a 30-284 with 40* shoulder and blowing sidewalls out like a shehane. I'm just waiting on the reamers. Yes it will be a pain to prep brass, but it's a what I wanted to do.
At least doing this, you get the slight velocity bump of going up a caliber.

That's a little harsh, but it would be worth really looking at standard dies and special low volume die calibers before jumping not full wildcat. Not to mention, what if you screw up your design? What if the case size & shape is such that there really aren't any great powder choices?

On the other hand, why not take a relatively great round like 7 SAUM and throat it for mono's or the same for the 270 Win or the same for the 30-06 ai? Seriously, a 30-06 ai is a low volume die from a couple makers. Call a reamer maker and ask them who's dies work with their 30-06 ai. Then increase your freebore to shoot hammers or something else cool & long 168 -190 gr.

The Shehane doesn't have a 40° shoulder. Some of the case taper is taken out after FF. It will run in the upper 2700's to low 2900's with a Berger 180…The 284 Walker is a 284AI it run's around 2950fps+ accurately with the same 180.

I have a 25-284 AI on a Rem700 action. Smith had to tune it some to get it to feed "most" of the time🤔

But how does it shoot?

And... Does the size of the shoulder make a difference when feeding problems present themselves? For example, a 40* shoulder on a 25-284ai would have a good bit of surface area to get hung up. A 35-284ai would have very little.

But how does it shoot?

And... Does the size of the shoulder make a difference when feeding problems present themselves? For example, a 40* shoulder on a 25-284ai would have a good bit of surface area to get hung up. A 35-284ai would have very little.
Shoots great! In the 0.3s if I do my part
40 degree shoulder sometimes makes it not want to feed up and in smoothly. It's probably this rifle (long action). I've got 4 other 40 degree shoulders
All feed fine.

The 284 KMR IMP takes the characteristics of the 284 Shehane and adds a 40 deg shoulder.
Emil Kovan developed it I believe see matchrifles.com
he makes dies for it as well.
Also heres some nice articles on 284…

Im looking at this or the Shehane, running a 28-30" carbon fiber barrel.

Recent Posts