284 winchester die

mo

I really like the Lee collet neck die. Problem they don't make for a 284 win. You have to send them a fired case and pay 52.00. What I was wondering since you"re only sizing neck is there another Lee die that would work? Maybe a 7mm wsm? Thanks for your answers MO

They don't make a WSM die I don't believe. A 7-08 die with a spacer between the shellholder and die or a 280 die with the bottom of the collet cut down could work though.

what do you think would be the easiest to achieve? How hard would it be to cut back collet on 280 die?

If you try the 7-08 die and some shims and it doesn't work you haven't ruined the die. I think it will work though with either.

I did some more looking, Lee makes a 7x57 Mauser collet die that may work with no modification. Just make sure the shoulder of the case doesn't touch the die before the shellholder does.

The inside of the collet on all my dies is ~.532", a belted magnum case head will fit all the way into the die. Even the .223 die is like this so I was assuming Lee probably cut them all the same.

Warning! This thread is more than 16 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.