284 win ultralight rifle hunting load data

TX mountain hunter

I just bought / buying an ultralight, 5# before scope 284 win mag, 20" barrel. I'm looking for a hunting bullet / primer / powder load combo that will effectively take mule deer, sheep and possibly elk at close ranges as well as stretched out to 600 or so. Yes I am aware it will kick the $#!+ out of me, but it will likely be for hunts that average 100+ Steep miles traveled between shots and receive limited range time compared to my other rifles. I'm thinking 140-175 grain bullet range, considering accubond, partitions, eld at this point. Not a big fan of penciling Berger's or trimming meplats.

Would like a fairly reliable / easy to tune combo as my range time is limited due to shooting options. Temperature sensitive is a must as I will likely shoot anywhere from 10*F to 100*F.

Leaning towards the Norma brass & Redding 3 set dies.

Any help or thoughts shared would be much appreciated!

I have a custom .284 and it's an awesome rifle. Mine was chambered with a .284 Norma Match reamer and has a long throat compared to SAAMI. I highly recommend using Peterson .284 brass. It's as consistent or more consistent than Norma brass but holds up and lasts longer. I shoot a 175 Berger Elite Hunter with RL23 at 2850fps in a 26" barrel. With your short barrel, I'd recommend H4350, RL16, or IMR 4451 in a 20" barrel and lean towards 140-150gr bullets, because that rifle is built on a short action with minimal freebore.

Personally I would use Nosler AccuBonds, Hornady Interbonds, Berger Classic Hunters, or Federal Fusions in 150gr. You'll be hard pressed to get a load that will carry enough energy to effectively take down elk at 600 yards. Your short barrel, short magazine length, and short freebore will limit your velocity and heavy bullet capabilities. I'd be comfortable to 400 yards with a 150gr at 2800fps though. The Ultralight Arms rifles aren't designed or ever intended for shots over a couple hundred yards. Not saying they're not accurate enough, they just were built to be as light and handy as possible and be used a moderate hunting ranges.

Thanks for the information Jud. Very helpful. Since my post I learned the barrel has a 1 in 9 twist. It is also based on a long action luckily. I'm not certain of the dimensions but I assume it's set to run longer bullets. I'm hoping for the 160s but maybe the barrel length will keep me from reaching high enough velocity to be worth it?

My title may have been misleading as it's a custom rifle built off a 700 long action. Wasn't sure if that would change anything..
Thanks again

Thanks for the information Jud. Very helpful. Since my post I learned the barrel has a 1 in 9 twist. It is also based on a long action luckily. I'm not certain of the dimensions but I assume it's set to run longer bullets. I'm hoping for the 160s but maybe the barrel length will keep me from reaching high enough velocity to be worth it?

My title may have been misleading as it's a custom rifle built off a 700 long action. Wasn't sure if that would change anything..
Thanks again
Well in that case, I would definitely be looking into 160-168gr bullets. Some 175-180s will stabilize in a 1-9 twist as well. The easiest way to find your lands and see how long of a freebore you have is to seat a bullet really long in a sized case, remove your plunger ejector, and remove your firing pin assembly. Then try to chamber that long dummy round in your chamber. Seat the bullet deeper little by little until you feel the resistance start getting lighter when you close the bolt. You're looking for the bolt to drop on its own and not have resistance. This is just off the lands. Then when you have that measurement, you'll be able to decide from there what bullets to run and where to start with searing depth.

IIRC the ultralight has a 3" mag box. That should help in fitting longer bullets in the case without impinging on powder charge. it has been proven by a great article written by Ross Seyfried that heavier bullets will loose less velocity with shorter barrels. Also use the same powder that you might use for a longer barrel.

I have killed elk with the 140,150 and 160 partition from my 284 win. That was before accubonds were available. Gosh I feel old. I would suggest a 160 accubond. I currently use the 168 Berger VLD hunting in mine but you said you didn't want to use Bergers….

Powders? H4350 works well and is an extreme powder. For more velocity RL-17, just make the load for the general hunting conditions and you will be fine.

I agree with Jud that 600 yds is a bit far for elk with this rifle but it is possible, just not practical. I have killed 27 elk and none were further than 300 yds. Most were 75-175 yds. At those distances your 284 would work well.

Great info from all. Thanks a ton. Here is where I'm at currently, still open to feedback from here.
BF40D002-3CDD-49E8-9697-4F7891D8D3AD.jpeg

I recently built a lightweight (5.75 lbs scoped) 284 with a 20" barrel. Best load so far has been with 140 grain accubonds. Shoots 3 shots touching all day long with best group measuring .071. Recoil is actually less than I expected. I think you will be very pleased with your cartridge choice. Try 58 grains of H-4831 SC, Winchester or BR-2 primer. I have built two 284's recently and this load works in both.

Great info from all. Thanks a ton. Here is where I'm at currently, still open to feedback from here. View attachment 172428
That's an excellent list. I really like Fed 210s. I use the Gold Metal Match 210s in my .284 and I get great accuracy and consistency. I don't think there's really any bad primers. I just seem to have the best luck with Federal primers.

I built a switch barrel 6 dash 284 win. Only action I had was a short, so I'm limited on case length. I do have a Wyatt extended box. I ordered 155 HH but they're to long and take up to much case capacity. So I will be ordering some 143 Hammers. I would think the 143 HH would be a nice bullet in a short barrel. They are very easy to develop a load. My 6.5x47 took 8 shots to dial in with the 124HH. With a long action you could try the 155's as well. It's a good looking bullet.

I'm shooting 160 gr Accubonds and 55.3 gr H4831 out of an ultralight NULA. I'm shooting .75 moa to 500 yards. Recoil impulse is quick but not unpleasant. Killed a nice bull and a buck with it this last season. Given a good broadside shot I would feel confident to 600.
B7F2F995-6D8A-43DD-A235-0E2A07D9E29E.jpeg

Recent Posts