.284 Win dies

woodcr24

Anyone with experience reloading standard .284 Win for one rifle: would you please give me your thoughts on dies? Good points? Bad? Not planning on taking this past 1K yds. Looking for a balance of performance and cost. Expect to be loading with quality components.

I should mention, perhaps, that the action is a T3, which is long action by default, if that makes any difference. Planning on using max possible COAL, resultantly.

Many thanks...

I have had a 284 win in several rifles for over 30 yrs. Have quite a few dies too. IMO the best would be Redding three die set that has the bushing die, body bump die and competition seating die. I like being able to size the body/ shoulder separately.

Redding Type S Match Bushing 3-Die Neck Sizer Set 284 Winchester

Or if that is too pricey the two die set with the sizer that does both FL (or partial) plus the bushing and a competition seater. This one sizes the body and neck in one die.

Redding Type S Match Bushing 2-Die Set 284 Winchester

If either of these is too much money then I would buy the Hornady two die set. I have used several of these in recent times with friend's rifles. I like them more than the RCBS two die set because it uses a floating bullet alignment sleeve.

Hornady Custom Grade New Dimension 2-Die Set 284 Winchester

-------------------------------------

As for powders that work, H4350 fits and works well with bullets from 120 to 168. If you want more velocity use RL-17. (if no data is available for RL-17 you can use H4350 load data, which has been agreed upon on many shooting forums)

I currently am using a 24" sporter with a custom PT&G reamer for a 3.050" OAL so the Berger168 VLD is into the lands approx. .010". Using RL-17 for velocity of 2835 fps.

If I were to make a new 284 and didn't own any brass I would buy the new Norma brass made exclusively for Bullets.com. This stuff may be the very best you can get.

.284 Winchester Brass Cases, 100 Count | Bullets.com

Thank you very much for your reply; it is extremely useful information. I had already planned on using the Norma brass from Bullets.com, and was looking at the range of die sets that they offer but could see no clear choice. The second Redding option that you mentioned is likely the one that I will purchase.

I appreciate your recommendations re: powder. I have some H4350 on hand for other cartridges, and had seen mention of RL-17 on 6mmbr so will keep an eye out for it the next time I'm at the gun shop.

This rifle will be running a 27" barrel with 5R/8 twist. I expect to be reloading with the 162+ grain projectiles.

Again, many thanks.

Best,

Chris

I'm shooting 284 long action with 27" barrel.

I get on 6br also and are you trying to build 284 rifle like these results?

Min 2920 Max 2922
Avg 2921

SD 1 - ES 2 BR2 CCI
Lapua 180 Hybrids
.050 off the lands 52.5 grns RL17

Series Shot Speed
1 1 2922 ft/sec
1 2 2920 ft/sec
1 3 2922 ft/sec
1 4 2920 ft/sec

Tom - I will begin with the 162-grain Hornady ELD. The BC is ~equivalent to the 143-grain ELD-X in .264. I should be able to match the MV from the .284 to that from my 6.5x55 AI, giving me nearly identical trajectory. Just makes things more interesting.

I haven't given much thought to the 180-grain projectiles yet.

Tom - I will begin with the 162-grain Hornady ELD. The BC is ~equivalent to the 143-grain ELD-X in .264. I should be able to match the MV from the .284 to that from my 6.5x55 AI, giving me nearly identical trajectory. Just makes things more interesting.

I haven't given much thought to the 180-grain projectiles yet.

What type velocity you getting with 6.5x55AI that you want to match?

~3,000 fps, but it really doesn't matter if it's slower or faster. If the MV is nearly the same from both, then the trajectory will similarly be very nearly the same. I ought to be able to figure that out using QL, within a reasonable margin of error.

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.