.280AI - talk me out of it

Inside of 500 it will do the job fine.

If it were me though it's not the route I'd go. The 300wm is much better suited to the task and gives you more room for the future to move beyond 500yds.

DITT:cool:!

Attachments

• Like_zps00ba1bd0.jpg
    Like_zps00ba1bd0.jpg
    5.6 KB · Views: 107

If it were me though it's not the route I'd go. The 300wm is much better suited to the task and gives you more room for the future to move beyond 500yds.

I also have to agree with this. However, I think you should go with what you really want. I went the super practical route and built a custom 300 win mag. awesome gun. it will do everything I need for elk, deer, antelope, black bear, etc... beyond the ranges I will shoot at any of them... but I really wanted a 338 ultra... so guess what... practicality went out the door, and I built a 338 because it's really what I wanted from the beginning.

So maybe you really need to build a 300 win mag AND a 280 AI. :D

maybe I should just buy A Tikka T3 win mag, and then still build the .280 AI custom ...

I will tell my wife you told me I have no choice! ;-)

If that works that means I can get my 338 lapua improved, ill jsut start a post and make sure someone says I need it... Then I can print it out and be like, "honey look, the internet says it, it has to be true!" :D

Inside 500 yards I don't think the 300wm is going to be that much better suited than the 280ai at all. I just built a 280ai this spring and I'm shooting the 180g Berger hybrids at 2925fps. That's not going to be much different than the 215g Berger hybrids I was shooting out of my 300wm at roughly the same speed (2950).

Go with what you 'want' to build. If that's the .280ai, the more power to you. By the way, my .280ai will be patrolling the Oregon coast range next fall looking for both elk and deer. :)

Inside 500 yards I don't think the 300wm is going to be that much better suited than the 280ai at all. I just built a 280ai this spring and I'm shooting the 180g Berger hybrids at 2925fps. That's not going to be much different than the 215g Berger hybrids I was shooting out of my 300wm at roughly the same speed (2950).

Go with what you 'want' to build. If that's the .280ai, the more power to you. By the way, my .280ai will be patrolling the Oregon coast range next fall looking for both elk and deer. :)

You have some load data and barrel length? Wow, thats moving, most guys are barely getting 168's moving that fast. Would love more info, I have Dallas Lane of Lane Precision Rifles building me a 280ai right now...

Right on blackdog...
I wouldn't mind hearing about your build. Did you have to do anything non-standard with the chamber/throat to accommodate the Bergers at longer seating depths ? curiosu what the CBTO and COAL come out to roughly with those bullets (realizing my seating depth won't be what yours is)

I don't think anything special was done in my build. It's built on a Remington 721 action with a 25" Bartlein #3 barrel and a Nathan Wright muzzlebrake. H1000, CCI250 primers, and a moderate jump to the lands. Not sure on specifics without being at home and looking through my log notes. This all fits comfortably in the factory mag well and all feeds just fine.

I started with the 168 hunting vld's and those shot well with H1000, IMR7828, and H4831sc. But I got to roughly 3000fps in all powders with no pressure signs but was limited from going further due to powder capacity restrictions. So I switched to the 180's, backed off a bit with the H1000 since that is my most abundant powder, and ran it up to where it was accurate and comfortable and away I go. I've only shot targets out to 600 so far with it and it's accounted for one bighorn sheep kill at 205 yards. I'll stretch it's legs this winter and push it out a ways.

Typically I think the 300wm or 300 Norma would be perfect for your desires and more capable to longer ranges...but absoluely nothing wrong with your desire to build a 280 AI, it will be more than good for what you want I would think.

Or you could do what I did when I was considering the same question. Didn't want to mess with fire forming ( not that it is a big deal) and wanted slightly longer range but still minimal recoil since I hate (really hate) muzzle brakes. So I built a longer throat 7 rem mag. I seat 180s out to about 3.55 oal and get right at 3000-3015 fps with a 26 in 8.5 twist Bartlein. Slightly better performance and no fuss. Easy to shoot without a brake, and a ***** cat with a suppressor (less recoil than a 308 win with the can) But nothing at all wrong with the 280ai if you can get the brass.

If I lived where I would be doing a lot of LR elk, I'd do the 300 Norma or a 338, unless I couldn't use a can in which case I'd stick with the 7 rm.

ok, forget about it already.............:D expensive dies brass ,fireforming whatever its

not worth it ,cause two of dem big names is Already fighting about changing the specks

on this so called wildcat 280ai,heck if i recall one of them's dead, let him RIP but there ya go another reason not to do it cause theres two versions more trouble.

besides whats wrong with dat dar 308 yourn talkin up 800 yds heck 500 yds is a whole lot closer another reason.

agin don't listen to yor money buddies flaping they gums abouts al their fanci dancy rifles, you never even shot a elkie rember dat's a tanuther reason not to gets dat 280ai.

and as far as there being one rifle that does all is all ,member what papa said,ain't nothing 700 dollars and a 30/06 can't fix !!!lightbulb thee end already!

if you can ,just imagine granny clampett from the Beverly hillbillys saying all above... regards lol jjmp

A 280ai with a 150 gr pill will kill anything your intending to shoot!!! less powder less recoil, factory ammo, what more could you ask for? You dont need a 30 to kill a deer or elk, the 7mm's will do just fine. Just my 2 cents...:)

I killed my first elk this year with a 7mm SAUM, very close in performance as the 280AI. That's the way to go. You will like less recoil for all your other game. If i hunted elk and moose every year, then I'd most likely go bigger. But once every 3 or 4 years on elk. 7mm is my choice.

Here is the result.
ry%3D400

To add, first shot double lunged and back tip of heart. Stood there(I think it had the wind knocked out) wavering. I was too keyed up and shot second time. Aiming higher, hit spine. Fell as it did a 180. Never took step.

Thanks everyone for the input.
seriously.

And thanks for taking the time to detail your experiences, hunts, results and comparisons !

I think I will build by fancy custom .280 AI,
and keep any eye out for a less expensive Savage 338 Win Mag or similar..... in case I just can't get along without a cannon ;-)

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.