280AI or 7mm Remington Mag?

I'm building a rifle to donate as a fundraiser to the folks at Yellowstone Bible Camp. I have a 7mm barrel Remington long action and long action McMillan stock. I'm trying to decide on caliber, which would you rather have? I think the 280ai is cooler but the 7rm has much more factory ammo support. The goal is to raise money for the camp so I guess the question is which do you think would appeal to more folks?

IF you let them know about the factory ammo and brass that are now available for .280 AI - they'd dig it.
LOOKY :D - A bit more expensive than 7mm RM. (Is it worth it?)
https://ammoseek.com/ammo/280-remington-ackley-improved

BRASS
https://www.midsouthshooterssupply.com/dept/reloading/rifle-brass/280-ackley-improved

But, ya, 7mm RM is more practical, and less expensive. :D
https://ammoseek.com/ammo/7mm-remington-magnum

Now, a .264 Winchester Magnum, with the right barrel twist... (build).

Last edited:
Near as I can tell, a 7 mag aint a meaningful step up from a factory .280.
If you had a 6mm a seven mag aint really a meaningful step to me,
If you want one, by all means get one, but it won't be a life altering experience,
Just my 2 bits, worth what you paid for it.

Any status update?
For all interested I got word that the camp would rather not handle the rifle but said they had no problem with me holding a raffle in their honor. That's what I plan to do. The rifle is almost finished and when it is I will post pictures and create a flyer that lists all the details. I am still working on what details need to look like, but I'm hoping to have this going by Christmas. Thanks everyone for the interest and support. BTW I decided to go with the 280AI

For all interested I got word that the camp would rather not handle the rifle but said they had no problem with me holding a raffle in their honor. That's what I plan to do. The rifle is almost finished and when it is I will post pictures and create a flyer that lists all the details. I am still working on what details need to look like, but I'm hoping to have this going by Christmas. Thanks everyone for the interest and support. BTW I decided to go with the 280AI

Cool! Thanks for the update and the PM.

Ed

Hello Everyone, I'm posting an update on the fundraiser Rifle raffle. I have the finished rifle ready to start selling tickets. I'm going to shoot some groups with factory ammo and post some pictures. I will also work up a flyer and start advertising the raffle. Thanks for all the interest and patience.

Attachments

• 72C978D4-5B41-42B4-97E4-0F721DF59ECA.jpeg
    72C978D4-5B41-42B4-97E4-0F721DF59ECA.jpeg
    1.7 MB · Views: 96
  • 630476F0-DC5E-4FC4-B5DB-7CFDB4E91AEA.jpeg
    630476F0-DC5E-4FC4-B5DB-7CFDB4E91AEA.jpeg
    1.6 MB · Views: 110
  • 3E991FEA-EDB4-4C2C-8EC9-01D118988AA0.jpeg
    3E991FEA-EDB4-4C2C-8EC9-01D118988AA0.jpeg
    1.7 MB · Views: 84
Yes out of state guys can buy tickets. The winner will have to select a FFL to receive the rifle and it will be shipped to them. The winner will be responsible for knowing his/ her own local laws and abiding by them. I'll post a new thread with the raffle details and insert a link here. Thanks

Great looking rifle
Wise choice..I've been using a 280AI for a lot of years..virtual ballistic twin..light weight rifle and no belt...very accurate cartridge

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.